Flashcards - Show switch dict option - No readings under Unihan categories

zulixia

Hello.

First off i'm blown away by the application. As someone who studied Japanese and now studying Classical Chinese and Korean, this thing is a godsend. Especially just using the OCR to get the Hanzi then press + so they go to flashcards...NO MORE SPENDING 2 HOURS MANUALLY INPUTTING THEM IN ANKI. :eek:

However I'm having a little trouble with the flashcards. I've got them set up to display my Classical Chinese > English dictionary and the setting enabled to "Show switch dictionary option" which ads a little button so i can flip it to Unihan definitions. Now although I've added Korean and Japanese-On readings to the Unihan display, it doesn't actually display those readings when I push the switch dictionary button on the flashcard, just the meanings in English.
Alternatively, I can just click on the character at the top of the flashcard once I've clicked "show answer" and it displays the Unihan information, the categories of "korean" / "Japanese-on" are there, but there is nothing written in them. The only way I can view those readings is by going into the dictionary and looking up the character, but that's a little cumbersome.

Is there a particular setting that I need to turn on/off?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

We don't currently follow those Unihan settings in flashcard display, for some complicated legacy-code reasons I won't get into. AFAIK you're the first person to even try to use it this way, but I'll add this to our feature-request list for a future update.

If you need that information in a flashcard test in the way you're describing, I'm afraid the only way to get that in the current version of Pleco would be to create a new user dictionary with that data in it and then switch to that user dictionary during your flashcard test. The user dictionary format is the same as the flashcard list format:

characters<tab>pinyin<tab>definition

one item per line, so you'd just pull that data from Unihan, stick it in a text file, then import it into Pleco by creating a user dictionary in Settings / Manage Dictionaries and importing the contents of that file into it.

zulixia

Hiya,

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah I'm sure the number of people who happen to want this kind of diversity with the readings isn't so high.To be honest I didn't expect Unihan Hangeul & JP-on readings to even be an option, so at least they are there in the dictionary and for that I am grateful! I just found it strange the categories come up "Unicode, Hangeul, Japanese-On" when tapping on the character in the flashcard after showing the answer, but without any info under each heading. It would certainly be a neat feature for people that work across multiple languages like myself.

Thanks again.