flashcards on android

Felth

秀才
Or any news on when we can get Flash Cards for the Beta? I'd pay the beta bundle version now if I knew it had working flashcards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We had been hoping to hold off on Android flashcards until we have our iOS flashcard redesign finished, so that that can incorporate improvements from that from the get-go. However, with iCloud not appearing until fall (and being integral to our flashcard plans) we're at a bit of a decision point - we're not sure now whether we want to port flashcards over to Android as-is (and make Android users wait until at least a few months after the iOS redesign to see those changes on Android) or hold off until the redesign is done on iOS and port over the redesigned version to Android.

Mike,
To me the flashcard functionality from the WM version is plenty to start with, I've been using it for years, it'll do. I can understand you wanting to streamline the whole process of development, but for me as a user the functionality as it is now, is more important (and needed) than added features. If down the road there will be an improvement, great. We'll get it when it comes.
If you would give me a choice, I'd say to bring out what you have so I can start using flashcards and take your time to develop more.

Felth

秀才
I agree with marc. I'm a student that is drowning in vocab. I can wait later for updates but please let pleco be able to help ease the burden while we wait.

I'll also chime in here too and request that the functionality be implemented in the next release. It would be very beneficial to the end-user and I think that it would help with development: bug fixes, etc. so that those issues are tackled before any other alteration with the iOS releases (if, in fact, it works that way).

I have to agree with the previous posts. For us learners any flashcard functionality is extremely important. If itgets better down the line thats great, but even wm style is fine for now.

Wan

榜眼
I agree Flashcard functionality is crucial, but if you plan a redesign, it might be easier to finish it in iOS and add it to Android later. Save the time to get it right, first!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Lots of votes in favor of doing flashcards now even without the cool stuff we're planning... in general I'm leaning increasingly towards the split into two releases (iCloud sync is going to need a lot of testing, and since it's impossible to beta-test on an unreleased OS we want to get started on it internally way in advance) which would favor doing Android flashcards now. Though calendar-wise I suppose the next big milestone is back-to-school (and if we miss that, Christmas shopping season).

Incidentally, it's unlikely we'll do any flashcard sync on Android in the near future since it seems all-but-certain that Google will introduce their own iCloud competitor at some point. (they've already got most of what they need, it's just a matter of sticking an easy Android programming interface on top of it)

iain71

I vote for flashcards sooner too, having something to use now would be of great benefit. I don't mind waiting longer for the improved flashcards.

senmu

aye, aye! I vote for flashcards to be released now too.

Sadly, I assumed it was an intergral part of any beta release (90% of my Pleco time is flashcard time), so I just moved from Windows Phone to Android LG 3D phone and am surprised to see I can't yet use flashcards on Pleco. As a student, I'm running a fast treadmill of vocabulary, so give me an idea of your ETA for flashcards. I might have to get a new battery after all for my nearly extinct one on Windows Phone. Are we looking at fall or Christmas release?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
senmu said:
aye, aye! I vote for flashcards to be released now too.

Sadly, I assumed it was an intergral part of any beta release (90% of my Pleco time is flashcard time), so I just moved from Windows Phone to Android LG 3D phone and am surprised to see I can't yet use flashcards on Pleco. As a student, I'm running a fast treadmill of vocabulary, so give me an idea of your ETA for flashcards. I might have to get a new battery after all for my nearly extinct one on Windows Phone. Are we looking at fall or Christmas release?

Beta of flashcards should certainly be out during the fall, in fact it might even technically be out during the summer :)

senmu

That's wonderful to hear. My days of using Pleco on my beatup old Windows Phone will soon be over. I'm happier with my Android phone, but Pleco with flashcards will make it close to perfect! I will subscribe to the announcement thread in Android forums here so I won't need to keep checking the forums here for the flaschcards Beta release announcement.
Thanks Mike!

dengyian

Marc Vermeiren said:
Mike,
To me the flashcard functionality from the WM version is plenty to start with, I've been using it for years, it'll do. I can understand you wanting to streamline the whole process of development, but for me as a user the functionality as it is now, is more important (and needed) than added features. If down the road there will be an improvement, great. We'll get it when it comes.
If you would give me a choice, I'd say to bring out what you have so I can start using flashcards and take your time to develop more.
Have to agree -- for this user too, the flashcards are the thing...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dengyian said:
Marc Vermeiren said:
Mike,

You should be getting your wish in just a few hours...

boen

Just want to echo the general sentiment here...vote for basic functionality ASAP with the improvements to follow when they are good and ready. Thanks!

mikelove said:
dengyian said:
Marc Vermeiren said:
Mike,

You should be getting your wish in just a few hours...

? :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
boen said:
Just want to echo the general sentiment here...vote for basic functionality ASAP with the improvements to follow when they are good and ready. Thanks!

Didn't quite happen in "a few hours," but it's still imminent, so keep an eye on the beta release announcement thread...