Flashcards: Mark headword in Outgoing links field

Shun

状元
It's great how the context of a word is added with every flashcard, even when adding from a PDF document.

IMG_7096.png

Could one also highlight in a different color—or underline—the flashcard's headword in the context sentence? That would be useful especially with longer sentences. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Those should show up - with highlighting - in the definition screen under Examples. (in general I'd rather not have people going to the Info tab to get this information since it's really more about editing / managing cards than finding information)

Shun

状元
I understand. Following your advice, I added 机器 as a test from the Reader, but the 机器 was unhighlighted also in the dictionary definition:

IMG_7098.PNG

(See the third line) Do you have any idea what could be wrong? Thanks.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, they're normally shown with bold text but you're using our Kai font which doesn't have a bold version. We should probably use an alternate highlight in those cases. If you temporarily switch your Chinese font to PingFang you should then see the word in bold.

Shun

状元
Hello Mike,

adding a new flashcard from a text file in the .25 build, I can't find the automatically saved context anymore—neither at the bottom of Card Info nor in the dictionary's Example tab. Could some setting have disabled it?

Writing this post, a new idea occurred to me: If a flashcard with context information already exists and the flashcard is added to an additional category with the "+" button, could one configure it such that the new context is added to the previously saved context info instead of replacing it? In that way, one could collect more and more good example usages for a particular word. Or is that perhaps already how it's designed to work?

Thanks,

Shun

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
adding a new flashcard from a text file in the .25 build, I can't find the automatically saved context anymore—neither at the bottom of Card Info nor in the dictionary's Example tab. Could some setting have disabled it?
Not aware of any recent changes that would affect this but will double check.

Writing this post, a new idea occurred to me: If a flashcard with context information already exists and the flashcard is added to an additional category with the "+" button, could one configure it such that the new context is added to the previously saved context info instead of replacing it? In that way, one could collect more and more good example usages for a particular word. Or is that perhaps already how it's designed to work?
If you set 'sentence cards' to 'button' instead of 'automatic' in the reader settings, there'll be a separate button you can tap on to add a new context sentence to flashcards, and adding it will also add it to the current flashcard. (it will appear with dots around it if the current card isn't yet linked to that context sentence - you can tap on it in that case to add it to that card too)

Shun

状元
Not aware of any recent changes that would affect this but will double check.

Thanks! I now see what was wrong: I had "Sentence cards" set to "none" for some reason.

If you set 'sentence cards' to 'button' instead of 'automatic' in the reader settings, there'll be a separate button you can tap on to add a new context sentence to flashcards, and adding it will also add it to the current flashcard. (it will appear with dots around it if the current card isn't yet linked to that context sentence - you can tap on it in that case to add it to that card too)

I'm delighted to hear that. It's perhaps best to use the "button" mode, which forces one to add everything manually.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If it's set to 'none' then 'automatic' might also work - I had forgotten that we designed it so that in 'automatic' it would show the + button with a dotted line around it if the card exists but isn't linked to the current sentence context.

Shun

状元
Oh, you're right, that works great. That is the ideal solution for me. It seems to work complementarily with the "card exists in another category" dotted-line indicator, which is very neat.