Flashcards for tricky simplifications

tiane

Hi,
Does anyone have a set of flashcards for the tricky simplifications. That is, the traditional characters which are very different from the simplified ones. Ideally, I'd want the card to show the traditional character (with or without pinyin, definition, etc.), and then show the simplified character after I have tried to guess it. Thanks.

I found a text file here:
https://www.hackingchinese.com/simplified-and-traditional-chinese/
but not all the characters work and I can't get it to show the traditional first and then the simplified.

Shun

状元
Hi tiane,

I have created this list of Simplified-Traditional pairs, 2704 in number. The data is by Bernard Yue (2014), distributed under the Apache 2.0 license.

You can do the following:

1. Remove the pairs from the list that are too similar or too rare.
2. Import them into Flashcards, activating "Fill in missing fields" and setting "Definition source" to "File only".
3. Under Flashcards > "New Test", choose Display > "Force character set" > "Simp-only", and disable "Filter head in defns".

Then you can take the test in both directions.

For the English definitions, I would create separate flashcards.

Cheers,

Shun

-------------------------

Here is the license I need to attach:

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
limitations under the License.

Attachments

• Simplified-Traditional Pairs.txt
    23.8 KB · Views: 421

tiane

Thanks, is there a way to get the software to add the other form of the character in the description? I see in Batch Edit you can add traditional/ simplified headwords but this just makes both forms appear together on the flashcard

Shun

状元
You're welcome! I doubt it. Pleco's Batch function only puts missing Simplified/Traditional characters in their respective fields under Headword. You could export them and change the text file, then re-import. But the above list should have them all already.

Cheers, Shun

Last edited: