Flashcards - Characters with more than one pronounciation

HedgePig

举人
Hello

For characters with more than one meaning, is there a way to create easily a single flashcard from the dictionary entries?
(This probably only makes sense when testing from Chinese to English.)
e.g if I add a the character 炸, I'd like to be able to combine both dictionary definitions - zha2 (deep fry) and zha4 (burst, explode)

My solution in the past was to create a custom card and then manually add the alternate pronounciations and manually copy over the alternate dictionary definitions; however
- editing a custom card created from a dictionary definition loses all the nice formatting
- for some reason, I don't seem to be able to select and copy text any more. At least 95% of the time I can no longer select text. (This is since switching to a new phone and new version of Pleco, so I'm not sure if it's a "problem" with my phone or whether the selection/copy/edit from dictionaries like ABC or PLC has been disabled for copyright reasons.)

In case it's relevant, I'm using 2.3.14 (CN Market) on a Samsung galaxy S3

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Flashcards - Characters with more than one pronounciatio

HedgePig said:
For characters with more than one meaning, is there a way to create easily a single flashcard from the dictionary entries?

Right now you'd have to do a custom card, though we've been thinking about ways we might make these combine-able.

HedgePig said:
- editing a custom card created from a dictionary definition loses all the nice formatting

True, when we start accepting Markdown we'll probably Markdown-ify the current entry text but until then it'll keep stripping the formatting.

HedgePig said:
- for some reason, I don't seem to be able to select and copy text any more. At least 95% of the time I can no longer select text. (This is since switching to a new phone and new version of Pleco, so I'm not sure if it's a "problem" with my phone or whether the selection/copy/edit from dictionaries like ABC or PLC has been disabled for copyright reasons.)

Where, in a dictionary entry or in the text edit field? Dictionary entries have never supported tap-hold text selection - we use our own popup reader instead (couldn't rig up a good way to support both), though we also have a menu command to copy the entire current entry to the clipboard. In the text edit field I don't know why it wouldn't work - text-selection in Android editable text fields has always been a little wonky but it should work.

HedgePig

举人
Re: Flashcards - Characters with more than one pronounciatio

Mike, thanks for your prompt reply (glad to see that the Pleco helpdesk is not closed on Thanksgiving!), and apologies for my tardy response.

Thanks for your answers about custom cards and formatting - at least I know I'm not missing out on anything.
The select problem I mentioned seemed be a phone problem - I ended up doing a factory reset and it's better now.

Regards
HedgePig