flashcard order

I made 11 flashcards in order from 0 to 10, but when I review them they come up in random order. I have "fixed" order checked off, it's in simple mode (not weighted), all filters are off, "sort by" is set to created, order is set to "ascending", but still the cards come out randomly.
I want the cards to come out sequentially from 0 to 10. Are my settings wrong?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
siamesefightingfish said:
I made 11 flashcards in order from 0 to 10, but when I review them they come up in random order. I have "fixed" order checked off, it's in simple mode (not weighted), all filters are off, "sort by" is set to created, order is set to "ascending", but still the cards come out randomly.
I want the cards to come out sequentially from 0 to 10. Are my settings wrong?

Did you make them in that order originally or did you rearrange them to it later? Also, are any of them listed in other categories as well as this new one?

Best bet would probably be to temporarily configure the system to allow duplicate cards (in Settings / Flashcards), create the cards in the order you want them to be in, then sort by "created" and they should work reliably.

(the fact that you can't simply review them in their listed category order is thanks to some decisions we made way back in 2007 for pedagogical reasons [insisting that nobody *should* review their cards in a fixed order] which are proving complicated to undo)

Mike, you da man! I did as you said and chose "create new card" in settings under "not in category", and bam! They now flow in sequential order. Awesome, thanks! I've asked a lot of questions here and you get back to me every time within minutes, thank you for the excellent support! Is Pleco your baby? If so, what an accomplishment! I bet there's a ton of hardware getting sold because of this single piece of software alone. I never "needed" a tablet until I bought Pleco. You should be getting kickbacks. Anyway, thanks again, and Happy New Year 2013!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
siamesefightingfish said:
Mike, you da man! I did as you said and chose "create new card" in settings under "not in category", and bam! They now flow in sequential order. Awesome, thanks! I've asked a lot of questions here and you get back to me every time within minutes, thank you for the excellent support! Is Pleco your baby? If so, what an accomplishment! I bet there's a ton of hardware getting sold because of this single piece of software alone. I never "needed" a tablet until I bought Pleco. You should be getting kickbacks. Anyway, thanks again, and Happy New Year 2013!!

Great!

Yep, Pleco's mine - not exclusively anymore (increasing numbers of other people are contributing too, not to mention all of our wonderful users providing feedback / ideas / bug reports / etc), but I'm still the one with the overall plan at least.

scykei

榜眼
That's pretty amazing actually. To think that a single developer with a big ambition could reach for all the major publishers and stuff. You have created undoubtedly one of the greatest tools for learning the language! You have no idea how highly I think of you.

Would you care to introduce yourself, if you don't mind? :D I only know that you're Mike, but that's about it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
That's pretty amazing actually. To think that a single developer with a big ambition could reach for all the major publishers and stuff. You have created undoubtedly one of the greatest tools for learning the language! You have no idea how highly I think of you.

Would you care to introduce yourself, if you don't mind? :D I only know that you're Mike, but that's about it.

Thanks, but I've had a long time to get to this point - if I'd appeared on the scene two or three years ago and summoned this all up out of nothing I'd be much more impressed with myself, but having a 7-year head start on the app business certainly makes life easier :)

Basic story is here - should probably update that page though since it's still kind of Palm-tinted.