Flashcard Exporting Bug

I have been trying to export my flashcard however it is not working properly. The flash card can only export chinese characters and pinyin but the english definition cannot be included. I have about 100 words to export and it manage to include english definition of only 22 and others were not shown despite checking the "Card Definitions" before checkout. How can I do that.

I am using Apple IOS 8.3

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Check "dictionary definitions" along with "card definitions" - "card definitions" only gives you custom definitions from cards, not definitions linked to dictionary entries, the idea being that another user who reimports the file will want to link to their preferred dictionaries rather than yours. (which happens automatically on import)

I have also check "dictionary definitions" and still not all definitions was exported. Besides, in some exports, I noticed that the dictionary used was PLC which included the examples. The issue here is that when I was building the flash card, I have to select the "best definition" suitable to me from the list of dictionaries I have installed. I don't want it to select dictionary automatically because the dictionary definition might not be what I want.

Is there any solution so that all my export will work and my prefer definition

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd... which dictionaries are your cards drawn from? Were those PLC entries given in place of entries from other dictionaries?

These are the Chinese dictionaries currently install
1.) Pleco Basic Chinese-English
2.) Cc-Cedict
3.) ABC Compr
4.) OCD C-E
5.) Key
6.) DGNCYCD
7.) Adso
8.) UnihanExt
9.) Cm Terms C-E
10.) HanDedict
11.) CFDict

When reading, sometimes there will be a word that is not in Pleco Basic Chinese - English dictionary but will be in ABC compr or Adso or any other. Moreover there are somethings Pleco won't explain a meaning to my understanding and I have to use another like Cc-Cedict to check the meaning and add it to Flashcard.

One thing I have come to notice is that if I select "Dictionary Definitions", it always check meaning from Pleco only and ignore other dictionaries.

Hello Admin, I would like to know if there is any solution to this issue. What can I do about it; how can I solve it? Please I am waiting for your answer. I really need you guys help. Waiting for your answer. Thank you

Shun

状元
Hi Princechrisvic, I see one possible cause. Perhaps you didn't select "remap if unexportable" in the Export pane. If you would like to change the dictionary used for all exported cards, you could first run a Batch command on them in Organize Flashcards (Remap to dictionary). Or you could export them without any definitions and re-import them into a new flashcard category, setting "Definition source" to "Dicts only" and configuring the dictionary order you want. (The dictionaries you prefer should be at the top.) Then, if you export the re-imported flashcard category with "Dictionary definitions" turned on, you will get the dictionaries you want.

It's mentioned in the manual or on the website, I think, that not all dictionaries allow exporting of definitions. (I think it's number 4-6 on your list.) While I'm sure Mike would like to allow it for all dictionaries, the licensing terms prohibit it. Clearly, those dictionary vendors that allow it (like the ABC Dictionary, and hopefully, the upcoming paid German ones) get a lot of good karma, which eventually translates into more sales for them.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry for the slow reply - I got you confused with another person who wrote us about a similar problem by email (and thought I'd solve the problem that way before posting the eventual solution here, rather than carrying on the same conversation in two places at once).

Anyway, most of the dictionaries that you mention do allow for exporting - all of the free ones do - though as @Shun says a few of the paid ones don't; can you check a few of your exported cards against the original flashcards in Pleco and let me know which dictionaries the problem cards seem to be linking to?

(and yes, the paid German dictionaries should allow for exporting)

I tried enabling remap and dictionary definition and it shows the definition, however I noticed that some words are not correctly translated. For example on KEY dictionary, it defined "广大读者” as “the reading public; the public readership" however when exported, you will get the definition as "Leserschaft(f).,die Leser (s). I don't know how it arrived to that meaning.

Is there any way to solve this. The main reason I need to export it is because on Pleco, there is no time set for "Self Review" on the flashcard. By time set, I mean being able to set the time you want the card to display. For example, if I set it to 5 seconds, the card will be able to display automatically at random every 5 seconds. This will help me to stop tapping on the screen each time. Sometimes during Self Review, I have about 200 cards, this means that I have to tap for 200times. It is frustrating and energy wasting. So for this reason, I wrote a program that will allow me to set time and it can display the words randomly based on the time interval. It help me during quick review.

Now here I am, having issue with exporting the flash card. If there is no other option, please guys at Pleco, can you add time set feature on Pleco? Endless tapping of screen is not encouraging. Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Double-checking this, I think KEY may be mistakenly set as blocking exports when it actually permits them - we can probably fix that one; is that the only dictionary that you're finding a lot of missing entries from?

Timed auto-advance is on our to-do list, but for flashcards that list is about 8 feet long so I can't make any promises about which update it'll be included in.

@mikelove "I think KEY may be mistakenly set as blocking exports", please I don't understand what you mean. How can I unset it from blocking export. Besides, how does this remap thing work. Is there a way of selecting which dictionary comes first? Suppose during remap, if a words is not in the dictionary, does it look for that words in another dictionary. I noticed that it always use Pleco Dictionary during remap. Is there a way of selecting which dictionary definition comes first?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@princechrisvic - the setting was on our end. Go into the Pleco "Registration" screen, write down your Registration ID, tap Deactivate, then tap Enter Registration ID and re-enter that ID; after that, it should be possible to export definitions from KEY.

The remap thing goes through all of the dictionaries that do allow export, in whatever priority order you've configured them in Settings / Manage Dictionaries.