Flashcard easiness doesn't decrease

I've been fiddling with flashcard settings and discovered a strange situation: no matter what parameters I set for easiness change in scoring tweaks, it never decreases, only increases (by a specified value) to 110 and beyond. Have anyone encountered this behaviour? I bet there's some hidden setting I changed. I have minimum easiness at 50 and easiness multiplier at 100, multiple choice test with prompting for quality.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If anyone's wondering, the issue was an obscure and undocumented bit of our flashcard system logic: we set an absolute minimum easiness at 110% of whatever your easiness divisor is, in order to avoid the situation where (easiness / divisor) is 100% or less and a card actually sees its interval stay the same or decrease on a correct answer. (as far as I know this is the first time in 10 years anybody's noticed that, so kudos on finding it :) )

4.0 in its 'expert mode' no longer does this sort of behind-the-scenes stuff, so if you want to have cards' intervals go down on an incorrect answer in that, you can.

Sent you another email - it still seems that either 100 is the hardcoded lowest easiness or it is impossible to get easiness (not score) decrease on a successful guess. I did reset the easiness divisor to (an absolutely undocumented, until now ;)) default calue 40.

My goal is to discourage myself guessing cards based on a single character - very often the choice is obvious (separate thread about choices). I'm trying to go strict on myself and award a decreased easiness for cards I guess based on a single character. I guess my next step will be to set both the score and easiness to 0 change in this case (quality 4), this seems to work as documented. Not sure I can ever decrease score on 4 - haven't tried yet. Too many shiny knobs on Pleco's flashcard system :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
See my email - I tested this with your database and it worked fine, perhaps you were still hitting that minimum? (I mis-wrote it as 110% - it was that in your case because you had set the easiness divisor to 100 but it's actually 10 points and not 10% above whatever you've set for that)

Too many shiny knobs on Pleco's flashcard system :D
Yep, which is why in 4.0 we're taking most of the dangerous ones away + making you wade through a lot of 'expert mode' screens to get them back.