Flash card syncing update

juang

秀才
Hello,

I see on some other threads there is way to sync between two iOS devices.I get a warning when turning on iCloud sync. What are the risks that I might hit, and how can I mitigate them?

best,

justin

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Risk: your data might start refusing to sync, causing you to be stuck in an endless 'loading' screen.

Fix: we automatically back up your flashcards outside of iCloud once a week if you're using iCloud sync, so if this happens, go into the system Settings app, Pleco, turn on 'fix startup crashes' (which will totally / forcefully disable iCloud sync), then go back into Pleco, Import/Export / Restore Database, and restore from the most recent weekly backup.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, though you could always make more frequent backups if you like (Import/Export / Backup Database).

samuel846

Yes, though you could always make more frequent backups if you like (Import/Export / Backup Database).
Hi, so is there a good android/IOS (phone/ipad) sync service or is it manual? I'm about to buy a new phone and I might go IOS and better syncing is one of the reasons.

Also, I saw you comment elsewhere that you don't really recommend the pleco icloud sync because Icloud got too unreliable. Is that still the case that even for IOS you recommend manual syncing?
Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hi, so is there a good android/IOS (phone/ipad) sync service or is it manual? I'm about to buy a new phone and I might go IOS and better syncing is one of the reasons.

It would be manual in either case - you could back up the database to a cloud-based directory from which it would sync automatically but you'd still be doing that manually.

Also, I saw you comment elsewhere that you don't really recommend the pleco icloud sync because Icloud got too unreliable. Is that still the case that even for IOS you recommend manual syncing?

Yes. We are considering offering our own sync service at some point, but we can't make any promises whether we ever actually will (or what platforms we might offer it on / what the cost if any might be), so I wouldn't recommend planning any purchasing decisions around it.

LeonardoM

进士
So, just to understand, if i change any settings in pleco (eg flashcards test settings), this won't be synced to the cloud?
I also noticed that any flashcard category won't sync between devices. Is this type of cloud sync coming to Pleco 4?

LeonardoM

进士
So right now the only way to have a sort of sync between device is to manually backup the content from one device and upload that onto the other device(s), is that correct?