First look Treo 650

I just got a Treo 650 and Pleco seems to work okay. However the cursor line will not display characters!? I am going to reinstall and see what happens.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... is this PlecoDict? Make sure that "Input Field Compatibility Mode" is disabled - it's quite possible that CJKOS/ChOS could have problems with the Treo 650's architecture. If it's Oxford E&C then about the only advice I can offer is "upgrade to PlecoDict" - the character drawing system in PlecoDict was specifically designed to involve the Palm OS as little as possible, whereas Oxford E&C has a lot more potential for incompatibility.

If there are any problems with PlecoDict on the 650 I'm afraid they probably won't be fixed until PlecoDict 1.0 final (and possibly even later) - it'll be several weeks before we even get a 650 to play around with, and right now palmOne's Treo 650 Simulator is pretty much useless.

Thanks for the feedback, though - it's reassuring to know that our software at least mostly works on the 650.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
BTW, all of the big PlecoDict databases use 16 KB records, so the widely-reported problems with databases being much much bigger on the T650 than on other devices should not be too noticeable with PlecoDict - flashcard lists might be marginally bigger, and there might be some inflation in the application program and the handwriting recognition data files, but in general the file sizes shouldn't grow by that much. (of course I can't confirm this since I don't have a 650 to test on yet)

Same goes for the problems with some programs being incredibly slow or not being able to load all of their databases into RAM - our memory management system is quite sparing about record accesses and should be relatively immune to such difficulties.

But if anyone reading this is considering the purchase of a Treo 650 I'd recommend you wait for at least a few weeks, not only for the sake of PlecoDict but also because of these other memory problems and program incompatibilities - hopefully palmOne will be able to fix a lot of them in a firmware update.

Much better

Actually the Plecodict on the 650 is working very well. that initial problem was not a problem. My bad.
The only thing I have noticed is that the on screen handwriting is not very accurate. I don't know if this is a device specific issue or not. I have experimented with the "smooth handwriting" on and off. Seems to work best with it on. However I was expecting more out the 650's processor with writing the characters. I was hoping that I could have "immediate search for character" turned on and not have to slow down that much. Unfortunatly it is not practical. Seems about the same as on the 600. Works best to just turn that instant recognize off and tap the appropriate character.
I am also hoping for the firmware update that seemed to address many of the problems on the 600.
Thanks,
Josh

Jim

榜眼
Instant access on Treo 600/650

An alternative to using PlecoDict Instant Access DA.prc and a DA launcher is to install Field Plus. Holding the menu button brings up the command bar with the Instant Access icon. This program also allows you to use the 5 way to select text. Very convenient.