Feature requests: Screen Reader; History

etm001

状元
Hi,

One small feature request for screen reader:
  • Add a "one tap send to Pleco reader" configuration setting. That is, when the screen reader button is tapped, the contents of the screen are copied and immediately opened in Pleco reader.
When I use screen reader, 99% of the time I select to open the screen's text in Pleco reader. An setting like this saves me a few taps each time I use the feature.

One really helpful request for screen reader+history:
  • Each time I send text to Pleco via screen reader, create a history entry with the entire text that I can view at a later time. (I reviewed Pleco settings and I don't think this is currently possible?)
It's common for me to copy the text of an article via screen reader and send it to Pleco. I find it helpful to reread the article again at a later point in time. Having a list of the text items sent to Pleco via screen reader (default sorted by date/time, newest first) would really help with this kind of review.

A request related to the history functionality:
  • Allow me to select which items in the history view I want to add to a flashcard set.
Right now it's "all or nothing". I'm guessing this has been requested before.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The intent with the Screen Reader UI was that it would do pretty much everything the regular document reader does - is that not the case? What functionality are you missing from Screen Reader that you get in the regular document reader?

With history, makes sense when you're sending the article to Pleco I guess, but I'd be worried about the security implications of doing it from the regular Screen Reader UI (don't want to accidentally store some sensitive text in Pleco's history) and I'm not quite sure from the first point why you're sending text to Pleco Reader.

Selecting items from history to add to flashcards does make sense, though the mechanism for that will change a bit in 4.0 now that history and flashcards are (sort of) merging.

etm001

状元
The intent with the Screen Reader UI was that it would do pretty much everything the regular document reader does - is that not the case? What functionality are you missing from Screen Reader that you get in the regular document reader?

99% of the time I use Screen Reader in one app, so I'm not sure if the following applies in all cases. Regardless, when I enable screen reader, it reduces the text size significantly (it seems like it's trying to display all the text on one screen?). For this reason, reading the text in Pleco is much easier. (Additionally, it gives me access to all the other features of Pleco if I need/want them.) Lastly, I have night mode enabled in Pleco, so reading white text on a black background is easier on my eyes than white text on a black background (the app I use displays grey-ish text on a white background. I don't know if Screen Reader uses black text/white background in all cases, or if it varies depending on the source app/text).

With history, makes sense when you're sending the article to Pleco I guess, but I'd be worried about the security implications of doing it from the regular Screen Reader UI (don't want to accidentally store some sensitive text in Pleco's history)

Fair point, although the user is explicitly choosing to send the text to Pleco. But I suppose accidental taps could happen.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Makes sense, but in that case I'd rather address these with options to set a minimum text size (below which it will keep the text that minimum size + allow scrolling) and enable Night Mode. Though I suppose once we're doing all that a third option to send text to the reader would make sense too - in general we'd rather have people in our app since it means they're using our app more :)