Feature (cosmetic/readability issue) proposal - clipboard monitor (popup translator)

Cameroon

探花
Hello,
if that's possible, please make size of the hanzi a little bigger in the clipboard monitor popup translator.
Bopomofo/pinyin and english text size is just right but the hanzi are a bit hard to read, esp full forms or complex simplified chars as well.

For example, in the screenshot attached the headword 班长 could take two lines of text (and proportional width), while the rest of the text could be the same size as it is now and so that the headword is wrapped in it:

(expanded popup)
2021-12-09_17-04-30.png

(shrank popup)
2021-12-09_17-14-30.png

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Very sorry, but we're not really doing any more development on the clipboard monitor because it's no longer possible to offer that feature in newer versions of Android (Google has blocked apps from monitoring the clipboard in the background in that way). We can certainly consider your suggestion if they provide a way to offer clipboard monitoring again in the future, but as things stand now pretty much the only work we're doing on clipboard monitoring is urgent bug fixes and in fact in our next major update we'll probably remove it altogether.

Cameroon

探花
Sad news, I heard that from you earlier, but later saw some discussion on enhancement to the clipboard monitoring in Android 11 and thought that the bright side has shown up...
Anyway, please keep this feature alive as long as possible, it's such a useful thing for me (and maybe some others users, too)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Some info for clipboard monitoring fans ))
There are some workarounds to keep this feature functional even on newer Androids (10, 11), here is one of them: (1) JoinApp clipboard monitoring workaround compatibility with Android 11 : JoinApp (reddit.com)
So there's still some sense to preserve it in Pleco at least as legacy/non-updating feature

We’ve looked at those, but they’re way too complicated to be useful to a meaningful number of users, so I'm not inclined to let them affect our plans. (I also suspect that Google will likely close such loopholes in future releases - the last decade of Android development has basically been Google blocking one perceived security risk after another)