Faster user dictionary import

Hello, Mike! I converted Big Chinese-Russian Dictionary to the format that Pleco would accept, but as the source has more than 230.000 entries, it takes ages for my iPhone (or iPad) to import it. Even if I split source file into a pack of smaller ones (by 10.000 entries, f.ex.), import takes too long time.. Is there any faster way to generate pqb file? A handy command-line utility that can use power of a modern Mac or PC would help me so much :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ahenobarbus said:
Hello, Mike! I converted Big Chinese-Russian Dictionary to the format that Pleco would accept, but as the source has more than 230.000 entries, it takes ages for my iPhone (or iPad) to import it. Even if I split source file into a pack of smaller ones (by 10.000 entries, f.ex.), import takes too long time.. Is there any faster way to generate pqb file? A handy command-line utility that can use power of a modern Mac or PC would help me so much :)

We're planning to release a desktop converter once the dictionary format is a bit more finalized. (I've been saying that for years, but user dictionary improvements have pretty much been on hold since we started work on the iPhone port - one of a number of features that have fallen by the wayside thanks to everybody abandoning Palm and Windows Mobile)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ahenobarbus said:
Alright, I'll continue with slow import so far. Another question: is there any entry-markup reference available?

What do you mean? The database file format or the formatting of dictionary entries?

mikelove said:
What do you mean? The database file format or the formatting of dictionary entries?
I mean markup system for formatting entries that could be used in txt file Pleco is able to import and parse, something html-like: <b>bold</b>, <i>italic</i>, <p> for paragraph etc.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ahenobarbus said:
I mean markup system for formatting entries that could be used in txt file Pleco is able to import and parse, something html-like: <b>bold</b>, <i>italic</i>, <p> for paragraph etc.

There's no official system for that, but unofficially, you can use our internal-use-only / subject-to-change private use Unicode formatting codes which are discussed in this post. (note that these are character codes - you can't just type in "EAB1", you have to use an "insert symbol" or "insert character" type command and insert the private use Unicode character with that code point)