Exporting User-Entry Definitions Made on Pocket PC

mewaters

秀才
I am wondering if, when exporting a custom-prepared flashcard list made inside of Pleco that is composed entirely of definitions created by me inside Pleco, it is then possible to export the user-created definitions with the associated characters and Pinyin. Exporting a flashcard list doesn't seem to export definitions. There may be a concern over proprietary information there, but shouldn't it be possible to export user-created flashcards and defintions from Pleco for saving on a PC or for distribution to classmates, etc.?

lmcjipo

榜眼
mewaters said:
I am wondering if, when exporting a custom-prepared flashcard list made inside of Pleco that is composed entirely of definitions created by me inside Pleco, it is then possible to export the user-created definitions with the associated characters and Pinyin. Exporting a flashcard list doesn't seem to export definitions. There may be a concern over proprietary information there, but shouldn't it be possible to export user-created flashcards and defintions from Pleco for saving on a PC or for distribution to classmates, etc.?

This is possible on a PalmOS PDA so it should be possible on a PocketPC. I do it with my custom flashcards using a custom dictionary. The Chinese character, the pinyin, and the definitions are then all exported to the flash.txt file which allows for sharing and editting.

mewaters

秀才
Hmm, I may be doing something wrong here then.

It seems to me that when I export a flashcard list, the definitions don't go with it. If, for example, I export a list, delete the original set from within Pleco and then "re-import", the defintions that get associated with the characters in the imported list depend on which dictionary is currently being displayed in Pleco. If the User dictionary is displayed, then, for the most part, there won't be a problem because the correct definitions will be filled in on the imported flashcard list. (Even in this case, though, if there are multiple user-created definitions for the same term, it seems that Pleco will just automatically choose the first-made user-created definition for that term). If the dictionary is set to Oxford or ABC, Pleco will search that dictionary first and fill in defintions for the imported list from that dictionary, then look in other dictionaries if it can't find the particular term...

Anyway, this is what I think I experienced. Any confirmation of whether this is how it works would be appreciated.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you checking the "Include user entry text" checkbox in Export? That should include the definitions for all the entries that you've created yourself.