Export / Save Settings File?

ausgang

进士
Hi!

is it somehow possible to save/export the settings file, so that i can install custom roms without the need to adjust everything again?

Thanks in advance,
Jürgen

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ausgang said:
is it somehow possible to save/export the settings file, so that i can install custom roms without the need to adjust everything again?

Not at the moment, no - has some support consequences (lots of potential bugs), though we've considered adding an option as long as we surround it with various "IF YOU DO THIS PLECO MAY REFUSE TO START UP UNTIL YOU DELETE AND REINSTALL IT" type warnings.

ausgang

进士
thanks for the fast reply. but could you tell me the path and file name, so I can try it at my own risk? (my device is rooted)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ausgang said:
thanks for the fast reply. but could you tell me the path and file name, so I can try it at my own risk? (my device is rooted)

They're actually quite scattered (some are needed at different times and so stored in different places) - not even sure how you'd go about accessing all of them, in fact.

Oriented

mikelove said:
We've considered adding an option as long as we surround it with various "IF YOU DO THIS PLECO MAY REFUSE TO START UP UNTIL YOU DELETE AND REINSTALL IT" type warnings.

Not as difficult as it sounds in concept. A field checksum could also keep a record of the version from which the data was saved. If restoring the settings and other data to a later version of Pleco, the warning message could state that "the data was saved for version x.y.z and a restore is only compatible with that version".

Whilst any changes between z figures (minor releases) shouldn't as a matter of practice affect the data, the Pleco product for Android is still largely in development (such as the Flashcard issues), so probably better to make only compatible for the Pleco version that it was saved under.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oriented said:
Not as difficult as it sounds in concept. A field checksum could also keep a record of the version from which the data was saved. If restoring the settings and other data to a later version of Pleco, the warning message could state that "the data was saved for version x.y.z and a restore is only compatible with that version".

Version compatibility isn't even the issue - we have plenty of code to deal with that for upgraders and such; it's more the hidden settings keeping track of various bits of user state that we're worried might get inconsistent if edited. But you're correct that we could work around this with checksums.

The scattered nature of Pleco settings that I alluded to in my last post is also an issue, though - there are a bunch of things related to startup behavior / finding files on Android that are stored in various Android preference strings / temporary files rather than in Pleco's regular preferences store (which is loaded at the same time as the cross-platform engine).

Oriented said:
Whilst any changes between z figures (minor releases) shouldn't as a matter of practice affect the data, the Pleco product for Android is still largely in development (such as the Flashcard issues), so probably better to make only compatible for the Pleco version that it was saved under.

Which flashcard issues are you referring to?

Oriented

None in particular! A scan of the Pleco for Android 2.3.11-14 Bug Report Thread just suggests that Flashcards is one feature commonly raised by users and is constantly being refined based on user data and user requirements. My guess is that might affect a restore even between minor versions.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oriented said:
None in particular! A scan of the Pleco for Android 2.3.11-14 Bug Report Thread just suggests that Flashcards is one feature commonly raised by users and is constantly being refined based on user data and user requirements. My guess is that might affect a restore even between minor versions.

They are, though they've actually been a relatively stagnant area of development recently since we decided to make dictionary improvements a priority (plenty of people would be interested in our dictionary app without flashcards, but not nearly as many would be interested in our flashcard app without a dictionary) - that should be changing in 2013, though.

I would greatly welcome this option, since I am also playing around with my Chinese tablet, installing different ROMs and trying stuff out. Would save me a lot of time. :D