Export Pleco Flashcards to Anki

Dodoxo

举人
Hello! I would like to export my Pleco sentence deck to Anki, I would like to mantain the statistics and everything (txt files doesn't mantain the flashcards stats and it would be extremely frustating to test them all over again). I've tried the XML file export but whenever I tried to import by Anki I get the same error:
Import failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "aqt\importing.py", line 329, in importFile
File "anki\importing\noteimp.py", line 62, in run
File "anki\importing\supermemo_xml.py", line 172, in foreignNotes
File "anki\importing\supermemo_xml.py", line 290, in loadSource
File "xml\dom\minidom.py", line 1918, in parse
File "xml\dom\expatbuilder.py", line 928, in parse
File "xml\dom\expatbuilder.py", line 211, in parseFile
ExpatError: no element found: line 1, column 0

What should I do?

Shun

状元
Hi Dodoxo!

Unfortunately, this is quite tricky to realize. XML is just the base format, its contents can be as different as two different file formats. Since Pleco keeps a score for each card, and Anki keeps interval lengths, you would have to find a good way to convert between the two systems for all the possible values. I've read on the forums that Mike has been working on Anki-to-Pleco 4 conversion, but since Anki has a broader scope (as it supports any type of flashcard), and Chinese learners form only a relatively small part of their market, I'm not sure if they would focus on Pleco users specifically and offer a complete import path for them.

Another idea: You could ask on the Anki support forums.

Regards,

Shun

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, our XML and Anki's have nothing to do with each other - you could export your cards to a tab-delimited text file and import those but there's no way to carry over statistics etc.

We are working on (in fact we've completed work on) an Anki-to-Pleco converter for 4.0 - emulates Anki's study behavior fairly precisely - but it would be harder to go the other way; with Anki-to-Pleco we were able to add some options / tweaks on the Pleco side to get it to properly use / mimic Anki statistics, but we don't have any ability to modify Anki to get it to do the same for our system. (I suppose in theory we could write an Anki Pleco-mimicking extension, but that would only work on the desktop app and not the mobile ones)

Dodoxo

举人
Hi Dodoxo!

Unfortunately, this is quite tricky to realize. XML is just the base format, its contents can be as different as two different file formats. Since Pleco keeps a score for each card, and Anki keeps interval lengths, you would have to find a good way to convert between the two systems for all the possible values. I've read on the forums that Mike has been working on Anki-to-Pleco 4 conversion, but since Anki has a broader scope (as it supports any type of flashcard), and Chinese learners form only a relatively small part of their market, I'm not sure if they would focus on Pleco users specifically and offer a complete import path for them.

Another idea: You could ask on the Anki support forums.

Regards,

Shun
Thank you, I just contacted the Anki support but as @mikelove, seems like there is no way to save the statistics within the cards.