Experimental ARM-accelerated Palm version

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Internal memory, Pleco User DB ???. But actually after further testing it looks like the software just ignores the old dictionaries and creates new ones, so it actually wouldn't cause any problems to have the old ones around.

ipsi

状元
Ok, after the initial install of P2.0-B1-ARM2, I discovered that initial load takes ages, several seconds easily. Thankfully, it's quicker now. I assume that was merely it creating the user dictionaries? It does seem to be faster, to the point where I would actually consider using this on a more regular basis. I won't, for the moment, however, until a more stable release comes out :).

It's definitely faster. Fast enough to be usable, though a bit faster would be nice :).

However, it seems that flashcard testing via audio does not work, while it did in the non-ARM version. Sad, but I can live with it until 2.0 comes out :).

On the other hand, audio for words where there isn't a single file now work as expected (where they say one syllable and then the next), though I'd like it if there was less of a gap between them :).

EDIT: This one's staying on board for now, as it's actually usable. And it also, for whatever reason, allows me to use 1.3 as my primary dictionary by allowing it to go on the hardware button. Why is this?

kRutOn

I had a strange problem starting armtest2. It just had the search/view icon on the upper left and upper right, then the "Add to User Dictionary" button in the middle of the top and nothing else.

However, when I clicked on the "Don't use Chinese icons" and unclicked it, the default toolbar layout came back.

ARM-accelerated Palm Version On T5

PlecoDict 2 Palm (ARM-Accelerated Beta 1 (c))
Platform: Palm T5
CJKOS Installed

- No Significant Change in Loading Time
- Keeps Reverting to English Dictionary On Startup
- Seems A Little More Stable
ie Can now do 2-3 things before crashing
- Auto Search Still Not Working
- Random Language Changes on Search
ie Chinese -> English
- Stroke Order Preferences (Outline/Digits) seem to be Retained
- Preference for Colour-Coded Tones in Headword Retained
- Multi-Character Audio has Started to Work
- PD2 Has gone back to Launching as the Default App

ipsi

状元
Hmm... It appears that whatever changes you made to the DB format have made it unusable for User Dictionaries. I've created a couple of entries, and, to put it bluntly, they don't work.

However, what I did notice was that bot the CE and EC dictionaries start at 88kb, but after adding an entry the one I'd added to dropped to 72kb, which was bloody weird. It's also worth noting that I deleted the user dictionaries I found, so it's not a conflict there.

Is this a known issue? Oh, and after adding it, if I later went back and tried to modify it again, the stuff I'd put it was't there, and it was just a random buch of crap. It also appeared on screen as a random bunch of characters, without the oversized headword(s).

If you want, I try and replicate the error and then send you the smaller PDB file.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ipsi - glad to hear it! Not sure about the 1.0.3 change, but good news regardless I guess. The audio code is one of the things we've been rewriting lately so that's why it works correctly in this version. There's unfortunately not much we can do about the space between syllables until we go back and hand-tweak the original audio files, which won't be happening for a while yet; it's mostly a function of the fact that they were recorded as single syllables and hence tend to be rather pronounced and drawn-out compared to syllables that are parts of words.

kRutOn - not sure about that one, probably related to one of the multitude of corrupted-preferences bugs we've been dealing with lately; let us know if you see this problem again in Beta 2.

The Duelist - are you sure the loading time hasn't improved? Try launching the software, immediately exiting, then launching again - does that second launch feel faster? The E-C dictionary thing is a known problem, it doesn't have a very good memory about this stuff yet, and the random language changes might have something to do with the still-quirky full-text search fallback, but I'm not sure why auto search still wouldn't work - try using FileZ (as discussed elsewhere) to clear out all of your PLEN preferences and then unlock / launch the software again, does that get search working? We haven't seen any problems with it in a beta release in several days now.

ipsi #2 - no need to send us the file, we've already reproduced the error here; it's actually nothing to do with the custom dictionary changes but rather with the new ARMified search, the byte-swapping between the little-endian ARM SQLite code, the big-endian 68k dictionary entry formatter and the little-endian ARM dictionary search isn't quite going off correctly yet. Strange about the shrinking file sizes, though, might be the database automatically cleaning itself up after creating some temporary tables during initialization.