Duplicates?

HW60

状元
Exporting my flashcards with Windows Mobile I get 9900 records, the same flashcard file with Android delivers 12800. Is it possible to export just the unique records with Android?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
Exporting my flashcards with Windows Mobile I get 9900 records, the same flashcard file with Android delivers 12800. Is it possible to export just the unique records with Android?

That's odd... is the importer on Android set to allow duplicates? The only thing I can think of that would cause this would be if you export a list of cards that belong to multiple categories (in which case, in a text file export the same card would be repeated under each category) and then reimport it with duplicate cards set to "allow" (in which case each of those duplicate copies would result in a separate card).

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
That's odd... is the importer on Android set to allow duplicates? The only thing I can think of that would cause this would be if you export a list of cards that belong to multiple categories (in which case, in a text file export the same card would be repeated under each category) and then reimport it with duplicate cards set to "allow" (in which case each of those duplicate copies would result in a separate card).
Actually I did not import any flashcards with Android so far, but as I only import small portions of new vocabulary, I changed the import filter now from Merge Cats to Allow Duplicates (which I clean afterwords).

I think I found the reason for the problem (not yet the solution): the manual says "Under Include Data, you can configure which parts of your flashcards you'd like to embed in the exported file. Categories exports the categories flashcards are assigned to; Text / PalmDoc files are formatted as lists of cards for each category, so cards under more than one category will be exported multiple times."

This is different from windows mobile: when I include the categories, I get multiple export records for multiple categories; if I do not export the category name, I get every card only once even if it has more than one category. I made an export with the same database in windows mobile, including the categories, and got the same 12800 records as with Android (without category export).

I export all my flashcards every 2 weeks and use the export file to create a new user dictionary and found the problem, when I saw lots of multiple entries in this user dictionary. Is there any comfortable way to create this user dictionary without duplicates?

HW60

状元
After exporting all my flashcards to a text-file and importing this text file into a new user dictionary, all my flashcards are linked to that user dictionary. As I have only custom cards, this changed all my flashcards. Fortunately I had made a backup of my flashcards ...

Is there a setting to prevent pleco from changing my flashcards while importing cards to a user dictionary? Is it possible to import cards to a user dictionary and ignore duplicates (same option as with flashcards)? In "Import Cards", what does the duplicate cards selection do when "Store in user dict" is selected (I had chosen Update+Merge)? Are there categories in the user dict? Are duplicate cards still cards equal in headword and pronunciation in Android?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
This is different from windows mobile: when I include the categories, I get multiple export records for multiple categories; if I do not export the category name, I get every card only once even if it has more than one category. I made an export with the same database in windows mobile, including the categories, and got the same 12800 records as with Android (without category export).

Looks like there's a bug that's preventing that un-checked "Categories" box in Export Cards from being recorded correctly - should be easy to fix in 2.3.8. Sorry about that but this is in general a pretty rare scenario.

HW60 said:
Is there a setting to prevent pleco from changing my flashcards while importing cards to a user dictionary?

Yes - set Duplicate Cards in the Import screen to "Merge Cats" instead of "Update + Merge." That will add existing cards to the new category and create any new cards that don't already exist, but it won't alter the text of the existing ones.

HW60 said:
Is it possible to import cards to a user dictionary and ignore duplicates (same option as with flashcards)?

No, there's not really any duplicate checking in the user dictionary at the moment - I suppose it's something we could consider adding, but I'd rather wait until we have our "custom field" system working so that we could then support comparing the definitions and appending the new one as an alternate definition if the old one doesn't match.

HW60 said:
In "Import Cards", what does the duplicate cards selection do when "Store in user dict" is selected (I had chosen Update+Merge)?

It does the same thing viz-a-viz duplicates that it would do with that option un-selected; the only difference is that if it turns out to be a custom card instead of a dictionary-linked one, it creates a new user dictionary entry for that card and links it to that entry rather than creating the card with its own embedded custom definition.

HW60 said:
Are there categories in the user dict?

Nope, and no plans to add them at the moment.

HW60 said:
Are duplicate cards still cards equal in headword and pronunciation in Android?

Yes.

HW60

状元
In Ploco for WM there was Advanced / Duplicates to look for duplicates. Is there a similar function in Pleco für Android?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
In Ploco for WM there was Advanced / Duplicates to look for duplicates. Is there a similar function in Pleco für Android?

Yes - it's one of the things you can search for in Search Cards. (which is more-or-less a redesign of the Advanced screen from WM)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
The database redesign is great: 35 seconds with WM, 3 seconds with Android!

I think most of that is actually RAM related - an Android phone can hold an entire flashcard database in memory (even a very large one) without breaking a sweat, which was only true on a small number of late-generation Windows Mobile devices (the ones that were coexisting with Android).