Duplicate Entries for Multi-character words

boxcariii

I am new to Pleco, so I apologize in advance if this is due to my own ineptitude.

It appears that Pleco will stop me from adding a duplicate card when the headword is a single character, but allow duplicate multi-character headword cards. I am running version 2.2.13 on iPhone5. Duplicate cards under Settings->Flashcards is set to "Keep Category". So far I have only imported the new HSK list into my flashcards.

I created a new category, not under HSK, for new cards I want to add. I then navigate to that category under "Organize Cards". From there I select add card. If I enter a single character under "Simplified Character Headword" like 本 and hit save, it says "This will result in a duplicate card - are you sure you want to continue?" If I select no, nothing happens. If I select yes, a duplicate is added. If I use the word 医生, it will let me add the card. Both of these examples appear in New HSK -> Level 1.

Is this the intended functionality? I have two issues. 1) When adding a duplicate card, I simply want the new category added to the old card. 2) When adding multi-character words, I would like them to detected as duplicates.

According to the documentation and tutorial, both of these should work, but I cannot figure it out. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
boxcariii said:
I created a new category, not under HSK, for new cards I want to add. I then navigate to that category under "Organize Cards". From there I select add card. If I enter a single character under "Simplified Character Headword" like 本 and hit save, it says "This will result in a duplicate card - are you sure you want to continue?" If I select no, nothing happens. If I select yes, a duplicate is added. If I use the word 医生, it will let me add the card. Both of these examples appear in New HSK -> Level 1.

It sounds like the problem here is that you're attempting to create a new custom flashcard, rather than simply adding a word from the dictionary.

To add a word to flashcards, search for it in the dictionary, select the relevant entry and tap on the + button. Tap-hold on the + button if you want to select a specific category for it to go into. (after which that will become the default category for future +es until you change it again) Doing it this way should get you the desired duplicate-detection and merging behavior.

What you were doing was telling Pleco that you wanted to make a brand new custom card with its own custom definition / Pinyin that don't match those in the dictionary. So the reason it wasn't offering to merge it with the existing card was because doing so would have wiped out whatever definition etc you'd just written (instead simply adding that card to the new category). As far as why it was only putting up an error with the single character 本, though, I'm not sure about that - it may be that you already had another card with 本 as its headword and its Pinyin blank.