Duplicate cards

I created a new category, and when I try to add new cards to it, it asks whether I want to duplicate the card or delete it.
I read the pleco manual, and I realized that I can duplicate in category or not in category, but regarding the latter I haven't clearly understand what's the difference between "Add to category" and "Skip".
In short, I downloaded the HSK 3.0 deck, so it covers almost all the words I probably will find in textbooks, movies and so on. But there's a lot of words in the HSK that I will only study in the future, since I'm an intermediate student and I am studying for the test gradually, according to my chinese level. Though, I'd like to create a new category, where I can add all sort of words, no matter whether they are from HSK 5, 6, 7 etc. or they are from tv shows and so on, because I want to study them as soon as I see them, instead of having to wait to reach the proper level to do so.
But at the same time I would like to study each category separately, without one category influencing the other (for example, if I delete a card from the new category, I don't want that the same happens in my HSK deck/category).

Is it possible to do?

Shun

状元
Hi ViniciusRJP,

that is certainly possible. I would simply change the names of each of the categories in the text file to something different (or put them in a new parent category) and when you import the text file again, set the Duplicate entries setting to Merge cats. When you wish to remove a card from a particular category, you simply choose Remove from category instead of deleting it.

If that doesn't work yet, feel free to ask again.

Under Duplicate entries, I see Skip, which will do nothing at all when a card is already present in the database, but not Add to category. (but I'm on iOS)

Hope this helps,

Shun

Thanks for your prompt reply, Shun.
In fact, I'm adding the words manually by clicking on the "+" button; I'm not using a text file.
And regarding the "duplicate in category or not in category " options, I found them in Settings - Flashcards

Attachments

• pleco screen.jpg
    pleco screen.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 181
For example, right now I tried to add a word that I already have in my HSK deck/category, the following happens:

Attachments

• pleco screen 2.jpg
    pleco screen 2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 140
When I click on NEW CARD, the card is duplicated to the new category that I created, while the "original card" continues in my HSK deck, right? Let's suppose I remove this card that I've just created from the new category, will it be removed from my HSK deck as well?

Shun

状元
You're welcome!

When I click on NEW CARD, the card is duplicated to the new category that I create, while the "original card" continues in my HSK deck, right? Let's suppose I remove this card that I've just created from the new category, will it be removed from my HSK deck as well?

Pleco is able to keep the same card in an arbitrary number of categories. Under Card Info, you can verify that the card is both in the HSK 3.0 tree and in the separate category you set aside for immediate studying. I haven't tried the NEW CARD command.

I'd say for what you wish to do (adding the cards to a separate category in addition to the HSK 3.0 tree), the Duplicate (not in category) setting should be set to Add to category, and the first setting to Prompt or Skip. Then you will only be prompted when a card is already in the category you wish to add to, and otherwise, Pleco will keep the card you have in the HSK 3.0 tree and place it into the category you are adding to, keeping the two merged. For all the details, I recommend checking the manual, which has all the options listed in an easy-to-understand manner.

Hope this helps,

Shun