Download / Sales Insights

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
Any hints on when the new dictionaries will be available?

Mostly out of our hands, several key ones (e.g. the much-anticipated classical dictionary) we're still waiting on cleaned-up data files for.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Loriquero said:
Lots of laowais recently on weibo. And most of them eager to improve their chinese... I wouldn't ignore it

Fair enough, we just need to do a better job of getting them to follow us on it.

mikelove said:
burdenofhope said:

Mostly out of our hands, several key ones (e.g. the much-anticipated classical dictionary) we're still waiting on cleaned-up data files for.

I'm waiting for the ACE dictionary to come to android, so I can purchase it. Is this one of the dictionaries you are waiting on other parties to provide files for?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
thefriendlygeek said:
I'm waiting for the ACE dictionary to come to android, so I can purchase it. Is this one of the dictionaries you are waiting on other parties to provide files for?

ACE? We changed that license to allow us to give it away for free and make modifications to it, so it's now become the built-in PLC dictionary which you get when you initially download our Android (or iOS) app.

mikelove said:
ACE? We changed that license to allow us to give it away for free and make modifications to it, so it's now become the built-in PLC dictionary which you get when you initially download our Android (or iOS) app.

Oh, Thanks, I didn't know that, guess I'll search around to see what the next best dictionary is for me to get next then. I got a Nexus 7, and want to use the $25 play store credit on another dictionary, or more add-ons.

denmitch

探花
Mike,

I use Pleco every day, really, several times a day. Purchasing new hardware can be tricky and expensive and I don't want a mobile device that does not play well with Pleco. So, I want to thank you for giving users so much useful information and feedback.

joy,
Nise
李希

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
denmitch said:
I use Pleco every day, really, several times a day. Purchasing new hardware can be tricky and expensive and I don't want a mobile device that does not play well with Pleco. So, I want to thank you for giving users so much useful information and feedback.

No problem! (maybe we should start another hardware recommendation thread, actually...)

mikelove said:
denmitch said:

No problem! (maybe we should start another hardware recommendation thread, actually...)

I would give my experience with the many devices, and various versions of android, if you do. I still find the most effective use of Pleco is on a 7" tablet, with the HTC flyer my 7" tablet of choice. Now that the Samsung Note 10.1 is out, and perhaps someone bought a HTC jet stream, it would be interesting to get some feedback on how well pleco works on 10" stylus enabled tablets.

denmitch

探花
Mike,
That was actually my next question.
Thank you for anticipating it!
The tablet or iPad would have a bigger screen to take advantage of all the new features in Pleco I have been reading about but don't yet have in my Pleco for Windows like OCR and camera character recognition. And I could see me using the Reader on a larger screen more often too.
So you like the HTC flyer? Would a Kindle fire work too? Is the iPad still going to outpace the Android in Handwriting Recognition?

joy,
Nise
李希

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
burdenofhope said:

saw the first "110 days to christmas" signs :wink: , any news on that topic?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mfcb said:
saw the first "110 days to christmas" signs , any news on that topic?

No, though we're considering releasing a paid public "beta" of the Classical and a couple of other dictionaries we're getting a lot of pressure on so that people will stop bugging us while we finish our massive software update. (assessing the feasibility of that is next on our agenda after the actually-quite-imminent Android-but-also-indirectly-iOS beta)

radioman said:
Something where an alert message pops up, but you have the option of whether or not to opt out of future messages, by category. That is:
- for new products
- for updates
- message center

I wouldn't mind a button I could press perhaps under Settings -> About Pleco -> Version that would check for new updates and if they are available, download and install them. I didn't know there were updates available until after I had visited the web site. I then had to hunt around to figure out how to install the update. I bought the Android version while it was still beta directly from pleco.com and didn't use the "Toy Store" or whatever Google Marketplace is called.

Also a new button that we could press to check for new add-ons based on what we've already purchased, perhaps located under Settings -> Manage Registration.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
arpeterson said:
I wouldn't mind a button I could press perhaps under Settings -> About Pleco -> Version that would check for new updates and if they are available, download and install them. I didn't know there were updates available until after I had visited the web site. I then had to hunt around to figure out how to install the update. I bought the Android version while it was still beta directly from pleco.com and didn't use the "Toy Store" or whatever Google Marketplace is called.

We've actually added an automatic app update checker in the latest beta, along with a checker we'd already added in a previous beta for database updates.

arpeterson said:
Also a new button that we could press to check for new add-ons based on what we've already purchased, perhaps located under Settings -> Manage Registration.

For that I think I'd rather just direct people to the "Add-ons" screen, though that does need to be redesigned to do a better job of drawing attention to new items.