Does PD work with the Axim x51v A06 ROM?

sfrrr

状元
I have to do a hard reset anyway, so thought I'd upgrade my Axim x51v to the latest ROM, A06. Is there any reason why PD would work differently using the new ROM?

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not that I'm aware of, and from the description of the update it doesn't sound like it would be likely to affect PlecoDict, but as we have yet to actually test PD with the new ROM I can't speak with total authority on this.

sfrrr

状元
First report after upgrading my Aximx51v to ROM A06. Upgrade went fine.

Reinstallation of PD also went fine. And I had the foresight to download the reg key too. Except that PD now wants a new key from me. Apparently, when you upgrade your ROM, your device gets a different device ID. Sorry about this. (Why isn't the device ID permanent?) So, got a new keyfile. Sigh.

As soon as I can get my PD for PPC registered, I'll send more reactions.

Thanks,
Sandra

Also, if this were my website, I'd link the fish logo to the Pleco product pages, not back to these fora (forums, whatever). Several times I have clicked on the fish, wanting to go the pleco.com. Slow learner.

And I've been promoted to BangYan! Wow.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The Device ID is permanent most of the time, it only changed in 1.0 because we changed the system for calculating it on WM5 devices. Which we did because it turns out that Microsoft have (for their own inscrutable reasons) blocked off access to the old system for determing a device's serial number on some WM5 smartphones, forcing us to use a new, WM5-only system instead.

And congratulations! Just another 25 posts and you'll have as high a rank as the system currently allows. (guess we'd better add some new ones - maybe based on civil service ranks or something similar)

The reason the fish logo links back to the forums is because we're extremely careful about wanting to keep the forums separate from our main website, on the off chance that someone might post something sufficiently offensive to get us blocked by the Great Firewall. Perhaps a little too paranoid, but since getting blocked would basically put us out of business we feel the caution is well-warranted.

sfrrr

状元
I could just post smilies, one per message, for 25 messages or so... I want to be first, not second, in the civil service.

You know. Life is way too complicated. There's something to be said for living all your life in the same tiny village and never leaving it, even for groceries.

My next task with PD is importing my flashcards and user dictionary. I'm dreading it. I haven't had good luck with this process so far, but hope springs if not eternal, at least for an expensive lunch.

Sandra

In an attempt to not post fluff postings to artificially bump me up (no double entendre), I'm adding this to a previous post. I have to hard reboot again--made the mistakie of restoring an old, horrid set of files--so I won't get back to PD until tomorrow, but I did want to tell you that the flashcards came over perfectly. HOWEVER, my user dictionary is completely corrupted. Yet again.

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... well at least the flashcards copied correctly :D Are you sure you copied the correct user dictionary file? Had you whittled it down to just one or were you still carrying around a bunch of them? Simply moving the file shouldn't have changed anything unless there was already something wrong with it.

sfrrr

状元
Mike--I hard-rebooted yesterday and, among other things, reinstalled PD. The same thing happened: Flashcards came over fine, but user dictionary (the only one, thank heavens--or not) is corrupted. I forgot how to open it up on my desktop computer, but I would like to take a stab at recovering it.

Also, does it make sense that my flashcards appear to be fine (haven't checked them all yet) even though my User Dictionary is pooched? Some of my flashcards use words and phrases from my user dictionary.

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That definitely doesn't make sense... if the user dictionary is corrupted than any flashcards based on it should come up as INVALID. To open the dictionary on your desktop, just open it up in a text editor as a big-endian UTF-16 text file (I usually recommend EmEditor, http://www.emeditor.com/, since it's the one we use to edit our own data files - with that, choose Reload and UTF-16BE from the File menu to open the file in the correct format), then scroll down to the end of the file and you'll see the text for all of the entries there.

So you're really sure that that's the only user dictionary file? Any chance that there might have been another one buried in a directory somewhere? It really makes no sense that the file would get corrupted simply by copying it from one Pocket PC to another, unless there's something wrong with one of the Pocket PCs' storage memory (or with the memory card you used to copy the files, if you did it that way instead of via your PC).

sfrrr

状元
I just found it/them--on my CF card/my documents/backups/PD/PEB/backup. And they have current dates. (there are two--the larger one is just called User DB C-E. the smaller one has a big long number after the C-E and before the peb extension.) Since getting access to my flashcards are finding it/them, and since the flashcards are more important than getting accessd to the user dictionary. I'm afraid to change a thing. But if I get brave some day, I do move the one without the number, yes? no?

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, you'd want to try the larger one without the number. Are you sure that PlecoDict isn't seeing more than one user dictionary installed? Tap-hold on the dictionary switch button and double-check that there aren't multiple User C-E's listed - if there are, PlecoDict is probably already accessing that dictionary, and you can get to it simply by cycling through the available dictionaries.

A

Anonymous

Nope, only one User DB. It shows the corrupted one but apparently uses the one in backup.

Sandra

sfrrr

状元
Not only did I not notice I wasn't signed in--enough negatives in that sentence?--but I also wasn't clear. When I click on the user dictionary in the dropdown list of dictionaries, PD displays the corrupted list. Howeverd, if I want to see a custom definition while in flashcards, I see it. So, there are two different user dicts, but only one gets used by flashcards (which is really the only reason I make custom definitions in the first place.)

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... so there's only one User DB in the dictionary list? How exactly is it corrupted? Do entries appear as complete garbage or are they just slightly askew in some way?

sfrrr

状元
Entries are garbage or just INVALID. The list is run together, usually without pinyin but containing lots of boxes and occasionally other symbols. What bad vibes am I beaming to PD?

Sandra[/code]

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... well that definitely doesn't sound like something that could happen just by copying files. Unless there was something wrong with the media you were storing the files on, which seems highly doubtful. So the main question is whether this problem occurred with a beta version or with 1.0; given the plethora of databases you've had at various times on your Axim it seems quite possible that this could have been corrupted by an earlier verison of PlecoDict. But we'll certainly keep an eye out for any possible bug that might cause something like this.

FWIW, we've now decided to switch to a standard database system (SQLite, http://www.sqlite.org/) in Pleco 2.0 (definitely on Pocket PC and almost certainly on Palm as well) - we'll keep using our own database format to store Pleco-created dictionaries, since it's smaller and faster than SQLite, but user-created dictionaries / flashcards / etc will now be stored in a super-reliable, transactioned, server-quality database format.

A

Anonymous

2.0 sounds better and better every time you mention it. This is the one you want to get out in the fall? Next spring? What?

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sometime in 2006, we're hoping there'll be a preview version ready as soon as summer - the SQLite switch in particular should actually be very easy to do, it's designed to be cross-platform and there's already a desktop Windows version of it so basically all we need to do is make some minor tweaks to get it working on WinCE and then move the database interface from one system to another. So that change will most likely be in place from the very first preview release.

sfrrr

状元
You s**t--Now I'm tormented with desire (of a sort). If PlecoDict 1x for PPC wasn't so useful and attractive, I'd sit on my hands until version 2. However, you don't have to worry about Osborning yourself because every Chinese language student on earth needs PD, be it 1x or 2x.

Sandra