document reader in android

Will there be updates to the document reader for android in the future? Eg to include a search function and support for epub formats, like in the document reader for Apple.

Sometimes the document I'm reading is really long and it's difficult to find/ jump to a paragraph without the search button.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes - the big holdup at the moment is that we're redesigning our custom text view control on iOS in order to a) make it support a subset of HTML (so it can be used to directly display EPUBs) and b) make it cross-platform so we can port it to Android. Once that process is accomplished (will take a little while...) we'll proceed with actually porting it to Android at which point we'll be able to bring a lot of cool new functionality to our Android document reader and also able to significantly jazz up the performance (and text rendering attractiveness) of dictionary entry display and other large-block-of-text views in our Android app.

Steyn

Yes - the big holdup at the moment is that we're redesigning our custom text view control on iOS in order to a) make it support a subset of HTML (so it can be used to directly display EPUBs) and b) make it cross-platform so we can port it to Android. Once that process is accomplished (will take a little while...) we'll proceed with actually porting it to Android at which point we'll be able to bring a lot of cool new functionality to our Android document reader and also able to significantly jazz up the performance (and text rendering attractiveness) of dictionary entry display and other large-block-of-text views in our Android app.
How is this coming along if I may ask?

Bvo

探花
BTW, I think many people will be happy if the reader could colorize the chars's tone.
I know you'll answer "there are many cases", but just think about it.
Many readers do and their users are happy.

rizen suha

状元
BTW, I think many people will be happy if the reader could colorize the chars's tone.
I know you'll answer "there are many cases", but just think about it.
Many readers do and their users are happy.
in my opinion, just need to color the tone of the current word being looked up / decided upon
thereby you avoid the compounded ambiguity of different possible word segmentations within each sentence and of tones even for a given word
... the user will choose the word variant and the characters of this single word (in isolation) can be unambiguously colored in the reader
optionally (though i would not need this) words that have already been inspected by the user and decided upon as valid can remain colored so that at the end, everything appears in color... and if we are talking about common material, colored by many users, pleco could take advantage thereof to come up with the community’s “voted” or most probable word segmentation + coloring

edit: see image for the idea

54FEDB2D-44CA-46E3-82BB-C9CC5E8D1FBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bvo