Dictionary searches

Hello i would like some reassurance. I have down loaded the free version of the android app for evaluation. When I look up a simple word like 下次 the entries comes up separately. When I use my other dictonary, Hanping, the entry comes up together with the proper definition. Both apps claim to be using the cc-cedict dictionary. This has happened many times with your app. I really like your interface and the community but I am having a hard time dropping the $50 if i have to fall back to my other dictionary. What I would like to hear is that this is a limitation of the free version. Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dahuailang said:
Hello i would like some reassurance. I have down loaded the free version of the android app for evaluation. When I look up a simple word like 下次 the entries comes up separately. When I use my other dictonary, Hanping, the entry comes up together with the proper definition. Both apps claim to be using the cc-cedict dictionary. This has happened many times with your app. I really like your interface and the community but I am having a hard time dropping the $50 if i have to fall back to my other dictionary. What I would like to hear is that this is a limitation of the free version. Thanks.

No, it just means you haven't downloaded the CC-CEDICT database yet - you can get it from the "Add-ons" screen.

Sorry operator error. It is now downloaded and operational. Looks like I owe you $50. Just one question is it best to delete the free version and then download the bundled version? Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dahuailang said:
Sorry operator error. It is now downloaded and operational. Looks like I owe you $50. Just one question is it best to delete the free version and then download the bundled version? Thanks.

No, they're exactly the same app so there's no need to delete anything - when you buy the bundle you get an activation code to unlock the full product's functionality.

And it's as much a design error on our part as a usage error on yours. We're actually leaning towards building CC-CEDICT into our finished app on Android; on iOS we're constrained by our desire to keep our app under Apple's 20 MB 3G download limit, but that's not an issue on Android, and the slightly slower startup database download (25 MB or so instead of 15) is probably worth it when most people would likely want that database anyway.