Dictionary Search Results are not that great

After a long term use I have found an noticable caveat.

I used Pleco on Windows Mobile, and the Search Engine was very sufficient.
(To a certain word there was a certain translation. It felt like there was an Index of words)

On the current Android Version it seems that the search engine just looks for the word I entered in the whole entry, and then shows them in an alphabetical order (or word length).
Let me make an example, if you look for a word like "talk" or "to talk", a good beginners dictionary should maybe bring up words in an order "shuo", then "shuohua" and then "laotian".
Instead, the first result is bai, baogao ...

Maybe they should be sorted on how early the word shows up in the definition or add an index.

Alex

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sofamensch said:
After a long term use I have found an noticable caveat.

I used Pleco on Windows Mobile, and the Search Engine was very sufficient.
(To a certain word there was a certain translation. It felt like there was an Index of words)

On the current Android Version it seems that the search engine just looks for the word I entered in the whole entry, and then shows them in an alphabetical order (or word length).
Let me make an example, if you look for a word like "talk" or "to talk", a good beginners dictionary should maybe bring up words in an order "shuo", then "shuohua" and then "laotian".
Instead, the first result is bai, baogao ...

Maybe they should be sorted on how early the word shows up in the definition or add an index.

Alex

We actually do sort them a bit like that - if you scroll down you'll see there are several different alphabetical lists - but for very common words like "talk" there's only so much we can do.

However, this is only a fallback search that we use when you haven't installed an English-to-Chinese dictionary; if you have one of those you'll get the same thing you had on Windows Mobile, i.e., specific entries giving appropriate translations for specific words.

I have the NWP English-Chinese dictionary installed.

There would also be a feature request, to seperate the dictionaries by language.
(HandeDict for instance). It always keeps jumping between the dictionaries, and then i have to cycle through them again.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sofamensch said:
I have the NWP English-Chinese dictionary installed.

There would also be a feature request, to seperate the dictionaries by language.
(HandeDict for instance). It always keeps jumping between the dictionaries, and then i have to cycle through them again.

Well perhaps it's not selected, then - tap on the button at the top right corner of the screen to cycle between dictionaries and get to the NWP.

And yes, as sfrrr points out if you don't want HanDeDict coming up you can delete it via the "Add-ons" screen.

No, i am actually german and i want to use it. The search results are just often mixed in 3 languages then when i have everything installed.