dictionary bundles

yoose

探花
I am waiting for the new dictionaries to see what will be added, but am wondering if dictionaries will be offered in bundles. When i first started learning Chinese i wasnt sure how many dictionaries i would need so i bought the bundle that included a couple dictionaries with all the add-ons. but now there is no bundle option for just all the dictionaries. will the update for iOS includes bundle options that are dictionary only?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yoose said:
I am waiting for the new dictionaries to see what will be added, but am wondering if dictionaries will be offered in bundles. When i first started learning Chinese i wasnt sure how many dictionaries i would need so i bought the bundle that included a couple dictionaries with all the add-ons. but now there is no bundle option for just all the dictionaries. will the update for iOS includes bundle options that are dictionary only?

Yes; the tentative plan is that we'll have three or four bundles of dictionaries at various levels that combine old and new titles, plus one or two bundles that just contain new titles (for upgraders), plus a couple of larger bundles that give you all of the non-dictionary add-ons plus some combination of dictionary bundles.

Vzzzbx

进士
Excellent news. This will sound a bit dorkish but I've put aside a decent lump of money to drop on these dictionaries when they appear. I'm really, really hoping there's at least one good English-Chinese dictionary in there.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Vzzzbx said:
Excellent news. This will sound a bit dorkish but I've put aside a decent lump of money to drop on these dictionaries when they appear. I'm really, really hoping there's at least one good English-Chinese dictionary in there.

There's the Pocket Oxford and the Tuttle, which should actually both be pretty cheap, but the big focus of this new batch is monolingual titles. Honestly, there isn't a lot out there in English-Chinese dictionaries beyond what we already have - subject-specific dictionaries, maybe, but the English-Chinese ones tend to be pretty old and of uncertain quality.

Vzzzbx

进士
Ah, no worries. Is it likely that you'll enable English searches within Chinese-English dictionaries? Or is it already possible and I've just been doing it wrong?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Vzzzbx said:
Ah, no worries. Is it likely that you'll enable English searches within Chinese-English dictionaries? Or is it already possible and I've just been doing it wrong?

Already possible, enter an English search and keep tapping on the dictionary switch button and you'll soon find yourself searching them instead of the E-C ones. Or tap "Full" to toggle into full-text search mode and start searching them immediately.

yoose

探花
mikelove said:
yoose said:

Yes; the tentative plan is that we'll have three or four bundles of dictionaries at various levels that combine old and new titles, plus one or two bundles that just contain new titles (for upgraders), plus a couple of larger bundles that give you all of the non-dictionary add-ons plus some combination of dictionary bundles.

thats great news mike, thanks. cant wait to see what you have. the idioms one sounds interesting. also waiting for the Cantonese one as well, but i wont ask you for a timeline as i know you have been working hard on that :D i shall just wait patiently.