desktop Pleco

Longbow

I have just started using Pleco and I'm loving it, even though I haven't explored all the features.

I would love to be able to use Pleco on my desk top, too. Is there a version available?

That would be awesome! :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
At the moment I'd say a web version is more likely, actually - the licensing situation for that is getting more and more favorable, and a web-based version of Pleco means never again having to hear "when will you support platform X" - if for some strange reason you want to use Pleco on your Nintendo Wii, a web-based version would be able to accommodate that :)

LantauMan

进士
mikelove said:
At the moment I'd say a web version is more likely, actually - the licensing situation for that is getting more and more favorable, and a web-based version of Pleco means never again having to hear "when will you support platform X" - if for some strange reason you want to use Pleco on your Nintendo Wii, a web-based version would be able to accommodate that :)
I hope a web-based version will never replace the Android version. All web-based software assumes the user has 24/7 access to the Internet wherever they are, doesn't mind the cost of such, and doesn't have a problem with weak signals, breakdowns in service, etc. And isn't someone like me, who deliberately turns off Internet access during working hours. And, I might add, isn't traveling in mainland China. My favorite digital thesaurus (for PC, not Android)--Visual Thesaurus--went entirely online, and I had to abandon it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LantauMan said:
I hope a web-based version will never replace the Android version. All web-based software assumes the user has 24/7 access to the Internet wherever they are, doesn't mind the cost of such, and doesn't have a problem with weak signals, breakdowns in service, etc. And isn't someone like me, who deliberately turns off Internet access during working hours. And, I might add, isn't traveling in mainland China. My favorite digital thesaurus (for PC, not Android)--Visual Thesaurus--went entirely online, and I had to abandon it.

No plans for that, no - this would be something to give desktop users access to (most of) our dictionaries and to hopefully facilitate online creation / sync / sharing of vocabulary lists.

Longbow

mikelove said:
At the moment I'd say a web version is more likely

Well this is sounding more promising! :D

But I agree that having the Android version is a must.

I am constantly checking vocabulary during meetings and it helps me keep up with the content under discussion. Or checking a character at a restaurant, on a schedule, meeting program, etc. So, a mobile version is invaluable.

I would choose mobile version over desktop, BUT it would be nice to be able do most of the card making, editing dictionaries, etc. on a desktop.

Being able to use pleco on a larger screen with keyboards and mouse, etc would be great.

Tnx