Definition Screen: Prioritize Flash

alanshi

举人
In the legacy version, there was a very useful setting "Definition Screen | Words | Prioritize flash in beginning" and "Prioritize flash in containing". Is this still possible to set in v4.0? I can't see it in the "Dictionary | definition screen" setting anymore.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, it would be a little more involved now:

1) Create a custom Content Screen in Expert Settings.
2) Save it.
3) Go back into that screen.
4) Tap "convert to simple" at the bottom.
5) Go into the Words section.
6) Turn on that option in the Words Beginning / Containing sections.
7) Go to Expert Settings / Card Types / Chinese Word.
8) Tap "Convert to custom."
9) Set your new content screen as the default one.

We might add a checkbox option for it if we get more requests, but in general we're trying to pare down the options whenever we can, so we took a bunch of them out and are waiting to see how many complaints we get :)

alanshi

举人
Thanks, that worked (although those steps are pretty complicated :).

For what it's worth, being a heavy user of flashcards, I sometimes find that I've forgotten some word, but I can recall some character in it and I frequently rely on this sort order in order to quickly locate the word I am thinking of (since being in my flashcards is an excellent way to search for words I've studied before).

I'd love to see the return of a one-click way to set it (or, even better, if it's zero clicks and that's just the default :).

alanshi

举人
I just noticed that these settings that I applied don't seem to correctly show my flashcard words first anymore (I seem to see some flashcard words, then interspersed with non-flashcard words). Not sure if the expert settings configuration needs to change? Is there a way I can double check whether this is configured correctly (or is it a bug?). Would still love a one-click way to do this as the expert settings I find pretty confusing. Thx.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm, still seems to be working on this end. Did you leave it in 'simple' or convert it to full 'custom'? If it's in 'custom', try changing back to 'simple' since we've tweaked a few of those searches. Or did you use the setting to limit which categories it prioritizes? (you'd still see a [+] for words that weren't in those categories)

alanshi

举人
Hm, I think it looks right. It is indeed set to simple mode, and here are the settings. Does anything look wrong to you? Maybe I missed something obvious. Thx.

IMG_1417.png
IMG_1416.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Tap on Words Beginning / Words Containing to view their details - is the option to prioritize flashcards checked?

alanshi

举人
Yes, prioritize flashcards is checked for "words containing" but not for "words beginning".

Now that I play with it a bit, I think what I am seeing that if I search for a specific character then on the "words" tab, it does seem to sort based on flashcard words, but if I search for a word containing a specific character, in the right tab where the word is displayed, if I click on one of the characters in that word, then use the "expand" arrow in the top left, I get a pop-up with just that character, and the "words" tab for that is not sorted according to flashcards.

In the legacy version, if I clicked on an individual character within the word, and used the arrow on the bottom left to take me to the definition page, that definition is overlayed in the same UI element which inherits the same behavior as the definition for the whole word. FWIW, I did like that better than having the smaller pop-up window, but I guess my main concern is that there isn't symmetry with respect to the sorting order.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That should work the same, yes - it's possible it's still using the default screen in that case, or it's possible that it's somehow searching incorrectly.