Converting .mobi to plaintext for OCR

Aurelius

Hi there,

I'm a big fan of your OCR software as it's helping me read many Chinese texts in the original. However, I have a big batch of books in .mobi format that I can open with the kindle app but not with the OCR reader. I would like to use the rather powerful Pleco OCR and dictionary engine for these texts. What is the usual process to go through to present the plaintext data of .mobi files to Pleco? Should I use calibre on my laptop to convert these files before syncing them to my ipad? Or is there an easier way, using the ipad's built-in clipboard?

Thanks in advance for any help.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Aurelius said:
I'm a big fan of your OCR software as it's helping me read many Chinese texts in the original. However, I have a big batch of books in .mobi format that I can open with the kindle app but not with the OCR reader. I would like to use the rather powerful Pleco OCR and dictionary engine for these texts. What is the usual process to go through to present the plaintext data of .mobi files to Pleco? Should I use calibre on my laptop to convert these files before syncing them to my ipad? Or is there an easier way, using the ipad's built-in clipboard?

Actually, OCR isn't what you'd want to use for that - .mobi is a text format (rather than an image format like PDF) so you really just want something to convert from that to plain text files so that Pleco can read them. So I'd recommend downloading the free utility Calibre and running them through that - that will give you nice clean text files that you can view in Pleco's regular document reader.

KaiHyde

I remember using mobi to pdf converter for this purpose. Most of converter do not support batch conversions so make sure you watch out for that. This is a free online converter that does not require you to download it, but I heard Calibre is also great.