Common words and phrases missing definitions

yagebu

Recently, I’ve been remapping my legacy flashcards in 4.0 since some of the redundant dictionaries were removed.

However, I’ve noticed that several somewhat common words and phrases are missing definitions. Some examples: 烦死,吵死,才会,改好,会员卡,之间,爱上

Anyone else notice this?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you sure you've reinstalled all of the dictionaries you had before, including free ones? A quick check suggests that most of these are covered by several of our remaining dictionaries, though we were planing to do a double-check for missing common words sometime between now and the finished release; there are some common words in Adso that aren't covered by any other free C-E dictionary and while we're pretty firm on our decision to remove Adso we don't want to leave any gaps.

Last edited:

yagebu

Hey Mike, thanks for the reply!

It looks like I’ve got all the relevant free dictionaries installed for mandarin but maybe I’m wrong.

IMG_1904.png

Attachments

• IMG_1905.png
    IMG_1905.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 34

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
CC-Canto and Words.HK actually add quite a few words that aren't exclusive to Cantonese - if you didn't download them previously you were probably getting those definitions from Adso, but they do support them too (and can use Mandarin as well as Cantonese pronunciation). It looks like about half of the words you mention are covered by those.

But yes, one of our to-do items is to check the Adso list against our other free C-E offerings and see if there are any other common words we're missing, so thanks for the reminder on that.

yagebu

Oh that’s good to know. Yeah, it looks like adding those dictionaries filled in the definitions for some of them. Thanks for the help!

yagebu

And just in case it helps with future testing, I did not have any Cantonese dictionaries installed in the legacy app so they must have been from Adso.

jurgen85

榜眼
Not sure if it’s the same issue, but for me ABC is missing 开会 in v4, while it is present in v3.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Different issue but thanks for pointing it out - seems like a glitch in our v3-to-v4 converter script for that specific dictionary.

I don't know much about Cantonese, but I had supposed that many words in CC-Canto or Words.HK would be specific to Cantonese and not in Mandarin, even with Mandarin pronunciation. Is that not the case?

Shun

状元
Hi lookslikerain,

that is definitely true. Even in the basic Cantonese language, there are many different words and different constructions from Putonghua. Here's an example of a simple dialogue:

Cantonese dialogue.jpeg

Cheers, Shun

Last edited: