Circumventing export restrictions on Guifan dictionary

I want to apologize in advance if this violates the Pleco terms of use and should not be discussed here. In that event, please delete this thread--but it would be great if someone could PM me the answer should that happen.

I've been an Anki user for several years and the thought of switching to Pleco for flashcards is just too much for me to process. Consequently, I was planning to use Pleco to look up words, make flashcards, and export them to Anki. So far so good. I purchased the complete bundle primarily for the Guifan dictionary; I have been wanting to "go monolingual" with my cards for some time now and this seemed like the best and quickest way. So I have been using mostly Guifan definitions when making cards. It's my fault for not checking on this earlier, but I only discovered today that due to licensing restrictions Guifan definitions cannot be exported. I'm utterly crestfallen as this was going to be the lynchpin of my new flashcard regime.

What I'm wondering is whether there is way for someone with a jailbroken iphone (as mine is) to access the Pleco flashcards directly through the root library (or whatever it's called). I want to extract the raw pleco cards, with their existing Guifan definitions, from the phone in such a way that I can manipulate them on my computer and finally import them into Anki. Any advice on workarounds would be hugely appreciated.

I realize I'm not supposed to do this, but Pleco can't be blamed for the ingenuity of its users, can it?

Thanks very much.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually, as luck would have it those restrictions were just lifted today on Guifan (start-of-the-month thing); if you go into Settings / Registration, Clear Registration Data, then Restore iTunes Purchases, you should see that Guifan definitions are now exportable.

Well isn't that serendipitous! Thanks for arranging this, Mike. Yep, I just followed the procedure above and it works perfectly. I can go monolingual after all =) Thanks again!