Choosing a dictionary

A

Anonymous

I'd like to choose just one dictionary for PlecoDict. I have installed all 3 and am guessing that the ABC (the largest) must contain a good portion of the terms in the two smaller dictionaries (Oxford and NWP). Is that true? Am I really missing anything by solely using the ABC? If not, I'd like to remove the other 2 to make some room.

What do other users prefer or recommend?

THanks.

ABC only?

The ABC dictionary is only Chinese to English.
You need the NWP for English to Chinese.

The Oxford has both C-E & E-C but is limited in the number of characters and words.

Hope that is a help.

Regards

swandog

Dictionaries

Also, you have to pay to unlock each library. I don't think the codes are the same for all of them.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's true, the Oxford/NWP/ABC dictionaries are sold separately and purchasing one does not entitle you to the others unless purchased in a bundle. (and we in turn pay royalties separately for each) So if all you purchased is the old Oxford E&C, your free PlecoDict upgrade is limited to the Oxford dictionaries and you'll have to pay for the NWP/ABC ones.

For me, the "old" Oxford dictionary C-E is still helpful and having Oxford and ABC side-by-side often gives me more information. For instance, with some common words the ABC (in my oppinion) is sometimes very short, while the Oxford has sometimes for such common words more detailed explanations. On the other hand, the ABC is more comprehensive. While I first thought about dropping the Oxford C-E and E-C completely I'm now very happy using them both.

Of course, Mike Love will probably also be much happier with users ordering both the Oxford, as well as ABC and NWP... :wink:

A

Anonymous

NWP dictionary? Only pinyin?

I've been groaning a bit over settling with Oxford's small E-C database and not buying NWP. But, I'm still not clear on whether NWP is a good buy. If I type a word in English, will I only get pinyin definitions or Hanzi also? I haven't checked out the paper NWP, so I have no idea, but the description here makes me believe there is only E->pinyin. That seems rather useless.

Also, are the NWP users here much happier with it than Oxford?

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It includes both characters and Pinyin - I don't think we would ever consider selling a dictionary that didn't include characters.