Chinese Basic Course flashcards (full course)

BWayne

Update (3/31): A minor update to the Semester 3 Presentations file, there aren't any new words but the definitions now perfectly match the textbook definitions, and I added back examples to a few of the words where they'd been removed. I also took all the words that didn't match the textbooks and used them to make a supplementary vocab list for the 3rd semester, since they do have useful examples.

Update (2/5): The semester 3 vocab lists were originally compared to the PDF versions of the textbooks, but I didn't realize the regular PDFs don't match the textbooks we're issued. I found the right files to compare them to and redid the 3rd semester flashcards, so the vocab lists match the textbooks now.
Update (1/27): Mostly formatting fixes, but when I compared the flashcards to the PDFs I did find a few odd missing words, mostly in Unit 4.

This is a complete set of flashcards for semesters 1-3, broken down by unit, lesson and presentation. Even better, it's based on a version of the vocab lists with examples for nearly every word in the first 2 semesters (3rd semester vocab lists were different, so the examples are hit and miss), and it also has things like synonyms and explanations of the abbreviations used in some of the idiomatic expressions.

I primarily did this using computer scripts to convert the vocab lists into excel files, and then the excel files into flashcards. I did come up with some pretty good ways to compare the original vocab lists from the PDF versions of the textbooks to the flashcards, so I really doubt there's anything major missing at this point.

I think the most likely errors would be in semester 1, because unlike the textbooks, the vocab lists these are based on were separated by the presentation from the very beginning. All the words are there, but I didn't have an official divided list to compare them to and make sure they're split up accurately. I did manually go over Unit 1 and had to move some words, and I'm sure there are a few more misplaced words throughout the semester, but it would be very difficult to check for that unless you're learning the words as you go. Again though, this is just for semester 1, and all the vocab is still in the right lesson, so it might not even matter depending on how your class does vocab quizzes. If you do encounter any errors, send me a PM.

How to download the flashcards:
- Android: You can download the files directly from your phone's browser, or download them on your computer and transfer them to your phone.
- iOS: It's easiest to use the browser within Pleco. Go to Flashcards -> Import Cards -> Download From Web, and click Flashcard Lists. Then, scroll down and click the link for the Flashcard Exchange, find this topic, and download the files.

How to install:
Go to Flashcards -> Import Cards (on iOS, select Import Cards again on the next screen), then choose the file and make sure to use these settings:
- Text encoding: UTF-8
- Definition source: File Only
- Duplicate cards: Allow
Finally, click Begin Import.

How to import the dictionary:
- Android: Go to Settings -> Dictionary - > Manage Dictionaries
- iOS: Go to Settings -> Manage Dicts
Next, select Add User, then Load Existing and choose the file.

The dictionary isn't necessary for importing the cards, and shouldn't be used when you do import them. It's just there for convenience.

Attachments

• Semester 1.txt
    149.9 KB · Views: 15,980
  • Semester 2.txt
    283.7 KB · Views: 12,244
  • DLI Dictionary.pqb
    4.1 MB · Views: 14,679
  • Semester 3 Area Studies (v2).txt
    134 KB · Views: 12,081
  • Semester 3 Presentations (v2.1).txt
    234.9 KB · Views: 9,542
  • Semester 3 Presentations (Supplementary).txt
    52.7 KB · Views: 7,852
Last edited:
Wayne, thousands of downloads and still not a thank you on the thread so I'll say it. Thanks! What you did didn't just make things more convenient for the rest of us, I'm fairly certain that it legitimately saved the United States money by increasing the number of people who are passing the DLPT. You have done a great service!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... and what error message does it give you? I don't see any restrictions on your account that would prevent posting text files, so this is very odd...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Never mind, checked the server error logs and I think I found a configuration problem (we actually migrated PlecoForums to a new server today, though we did it pretty invisibly) - could you try uploading again?

Seth Turner

秀才
Here is the CM220 semester 2 geography test study list. It covers every character on the test to my knowledge.

Attachments

• cm220 geography test.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,500

CoryG

I know this post is already 2 years old but I just wanted to say thank you very much for posting this. Also do you know what textbook goes along with this? If not, does anyone have any advice on how to efficiently study with these?

Seth Turner

秀才
They go to the Chinese course for military personnel. If you are not in the dli course I would recommend studying any other course, because the dli syllabus is not very good.

Jtostle

Update (3/31): A minor update to the Semester 3 Presentations file, there aren't any new words but the definitions now perfectly match the textbook definitions, and I added back examples to a few of the words where they'd been removed. I also took all the words that didn't match the textbooks and used them to make a supplementary vocab list for the 3rd semester, since they do have useful examples.

Update (2/5): The semester 3 vocab lists were originally compared to the PDF versions of the textbooks, but I didn't realize the regular PDFs don't match the textbooks we're issued. I found the right files to compare them to and redid the 3rd semester flashcards, so the vocab lists match the textbooks now.
Update (1/27): Mostly formatting fixes, but when I compared the flashcards to the PDFs I did find a few odd missing words, mostly in Unit 4.

This is a complete set of flashcards for semesters 1-3, broken down by unit, lesson and presentation. Even better, it's based on a version of the vocab lists with examples for nearly every word in the first 2 semesters (3rd semester vocab lists were different, so the examples are hit and miss), and it also has things like synonyms and explanations of the abbreviations used in some of the idiomatic expressions.

I primarily did this using computer scripts to convert the vocab lists into excel files, and then the excel files into flashcards. I did come up with some pretty good ways to compare the original vocab lists from the PDF versions of the textbooks to the flashcards, so I really doubt there's anything major missing at this point.

I think the most likely errors would be in semester 1, because unlike the textbooks, the vocab lists these are based on were separated by the presentation from the very beginning. All the words are there, but I didn't have an official divided list to compare them to and make sure they're split up accurately. I did manually go over Unit 1 and had to move some words, and I'm sure there are a few more misplaced words throughout the semester, but it would be very difficult to check for that unless you're learning the words as you go. Again though, this is just for semester 1, and all the vocab is still in the right lesson, so it might not even matter depending on how your class does vocab quizzes. If you do encounter any errors, send me a PM.

How to download the flashcards:
- Android: You can download the files directly from your phone's browser, or download them on your computer and transfer them to your phone.
- iOS: It's easiest to use the browser within Pleco. Go to Flashcards -> Import Cards -> Download From Web, and click Flashcard Lists. Then, scroll down and click the link for the Flashcard Exchange, find this topic, and download the files.

How to install:
Go to Flashcards -> Import Cards (on iOS, select Import Cards again on the next screen), then choose the file and make sure to use these settings:
- Text encoding: UTF-8
- Definition source: File Only
- Duplicate cards: Allow
Finally, click Begin Import.

How to import the dictionary:
- Android: Go to Settings -> Dictionary - > Manage Dictionaries
- iOS: Go to Settings -> Manage Dicts
Next, select Add User, then Load Existing and choose the file.

The dictionary isn't necessary for importing the cards, and shouldn't be used when you do import them. It's just there for convenience.
Thank you!! I was in the second class through required to take DLPT5 and the curriculum was supplemented by the previous DLPT4 course material. Pinyin based. I've never gotten a satisfactory DLPT score. Perhaps now I have a shot.

JPrice

New curriculum (2021) Semester 1 flash cards <3
Don’t use the above flashcards for semester one, those are the old curriculum ones.
If it’s being weird when you import it, make sure you set the definition source to “prefer dicts”
<3 加油

Attachments

• Semester 1 Pleco Cards.txt
    205.2 KB · Views: 344