Characters Not Found in Pleco Dictionaries

Kun-it

Apologies if this question has already been asked elsewhere, but I couldn't find it if it has.
I was wondering if there was any way to manually create dictionary entries for characters which are not included in my Pleco dictionaries.
For example, I have come across the character 㸲 (牛+乍) in the compound 㸲牛 a few times, but no results are found when I search this character in Pleco.
Thank you!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, if you create a user dictionary in Settings / Manage Dictionaries you should then see an option to add a new entry to it whenever you enter a search with no results.

It is not defined, but in some way it's present! If you search for 乍 and activate CHARS (not DICT) you can see a long list of characters not defined that use 乍 as component.

Attachments

• Immagine 2024-02-07 225942.jpg
    Immagine 2024-02-07 225942.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 36

Kun-it

Yes, if you create a user dictionary in Settings / Manage Dictionaries you should then see an option to add a new entry to it whenever you enter a search with no results.
Oh, excellent! Thanks a lot, I didn't know I could do it that way.

It is a very useful feature, for example you can create special dictionaries or for languages not present in upgrades of Pleco.

An user, in https://github.com/meap158/Pleco-Collection created a dictionary with (less that) 286,898 words with very very short definitions in English, Japanese, Vietnamese, French, Russian, Spanish, and Korean.

Anyway 㸲 is not present in this dictionary, so I created - as mikelove said - a new USER dictionary (I named it NEW) and in "Manage Dictionaries" I selected the NEW dictionary - Browse all dictionary entries and added a new entry (character - pronunciation - description).

Attachments

• Immagine 2024-02-07 235340.jpg
    Immagine 2024-02-07 235340.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Immagine 2024-02-08 000047.jpg
    Immagine 2024-02-08 000047.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Kun-it

Oh, that's another good use indeed. The github dictionary seems incredibly useful, thanks for the link. I will have to check it out.
I previously used the User dictionary facility but somewhere over the years the entries disappeared when I backed-up.

Guess I'll have to be more careful.