Character component listing

jiacheng

榜眼
I would like to have access to a list of all components for any given character. Does something like this exist?
It would be something equivilant to the following:

妈:女 马
玛:王 马
闯:门 马

I am aware that pleco has a listing of components for each character, but I would like to be able to look up the components programatically. Is there any data like this publicly available?

Hi Jiacheng,

One piece of software I use produces lists like this, but I´m afraid that´s not what you are looking for. And in the entry for each character, it gives you its components. For example, the components of 情 are given as 忄青龶月. As you can see, sometimes there is more than one way to break down a character into components.

Characters containing 青

End of list. Total 11 items.
This list was produced with “Hanzi filter” (in the Options menu) set to “3,755 simple form (GB) Hanzi only”.

feng

榜眼
jiacheng said:
I am aware that pleco has a listing of components for each character,
As 'sobriaebritas' described? Or another way? I don't have Pleco yet :D

I'd be curious to know from both you and sobriaebritas, and anyone else, a little bit about the following:

What do these programs do for 罐灌觀歡?雚 or 艹口口隹?口口, not 吅, I guess.

囂?㗊頁 or 口口頁口口?

讓攘壤嚷瓤鑲?All are in the PRC's list of the 3,500 most common characters, but only 讓 gets simplified. Do they give 襄 or what do they do after 亠 and 口口 ?

兜?There is a wildly archaic alternate form of a character that itself is archaic enough it can't be typed, and it makes up everything except 白。Kind of a hard one to break down otherwise, without resorting to pseudo pieces, or so it seems to me. What do they do?

盈楹? 夃皿 or 乃又皿?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for my late answer. I copy and paste from the software help file:

The components line has a more technical purpose, and is more abbreviated, than the Explanation section. Inclusion of 女 (nǚ ‘woman’) and 子 (zǐ ‘child’) on the components line of 好 (hǎo ‘good’) causes the dictionary entry for 好 to be automatically indexed to both the components 女 and 子, so that when you list all the character containing 女 (or 子) as a component, then 好 will be included in the list. This is useful as a method of looking up a character when you don’t know the pronunciation (similar to, but more flexible than, the traditional system of dictionary radicals). It is also useful as an aid to memorization, for making meaningful associations (and avoiding confusion) between characters with similar shapes.

The “components” on this line do not always have any “true” (historical) relation to the character they are listed under. For example, the character 克 may have 兄 listed as one of its components, simply because the modern form of 克 seems to have 兄 at the bottom; but historically these two characters have nothing to do with each other (the historical analysis belongs in the Explanation section). The point of the components line is simply to provide access to any character by way of anything that seems to be a graphical component of it; and also to allow for comparisons between characters with similar shapes. The criteria used in deciding the analysis into components are flexible. Chapter 9 explains how to edit a character dictionary entry, including changing the components line.

What to include on the components line, is sometimes a matter of choice. The main idea is to help anyone who might try to look up the character by choosing Characters Containing Components from the List menu. You can follow this procedure:

• Look at the whole character
• Try to divide it in two

Most characters can be divided in two from left-to-right, and many others from top-to-bottom. If the there is more than one way of dividing it in two – if it isn’t obvious which way is historically relevant – then try to do it in all ways that one might imagine.

For example, there are two obvious way to divide 章 (zhāng ‘badge’) in two:

1: 音 (yīn ‘sound’) over 十 (shí ‘ten’)
2: 立 (lì ‘stand’) over 早 (zǎo ‘early’)

音 over 十 is the historically accurate analysis. On the other hand, if one didn’t know better, one might imagine it to be composed of 立 and 早. Including 音 and 十 and 立 and 早 on the components line provides a way for anyone to locate 章 if they recognize any of its apparent major components.

Although 章 could be divided in three, with 日 (rì ‘sun’) in the middle, we try to divide it in two; so we don’t regard 日 as a major or essential component. Nevertheless, you could optionally include 日 on the components line as well.

3: 立 over 日 over 十

This approach is more flexible than the traditional classification by radicals, where you are forced to guess what the radical is (and waste a lot of time if you guess wrong). In Wenlin, any reasonable guess based on the above procedure can work. The goal is to help people find a character, not to hide it.

The components line allows for an efficient dictionary look-up method, and some useful lists; but it’s not a theoretical statement. Remember, the historical analysis of a character belongs in the explanation section, not on the components line.

One might reasonably ask, “If you want to help people look up characters, why stop with a division by two; why not keep diving down until you get all the components?” Consider the horizontal line, which is the character 一 yī ‘one’; and consider 口 kǒu ‘mouth’. Horizontal lines, and boxes, appear almost everywhere in Chinese characters. If 一 and 口 were included on the components line every time they appeared in a character, it would make the list of characters containing 一 and 口 very long indeed. This might be self-defeating, and nothing helpful would be likely to come of it (for many common purposes).

Sorry for my late answer. Here are some examples of how characters are divided into components:

歡: 雚欠
雚: 艹吅口隹唯
兜: 白儿
盈: 夃乃又皿
楹: 木盈

feng

榜眼
Thanks for posting, sobriaebritas. It's interesting how different people look at characters (visually, not historically). I recently started working again on a project I started back in 2002, but had put aside for most of the past decade. It is similar to this in some ways, but different in others. I was curious about their way of chopping up characters since I was not aware of anyone doing this in a large scale way (i.e. more than introducing a few common or quirky character components). I imagine there must be others doing this as well. I don't get out much :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting, sobriaebritas. It's interesting how different people look at characters (visually, not historically). I recently started working again on a project I started back in 2002, but had put aside for most of the past decade. It is similar to this in some ways, but different in others. I was curious about their way of chopping up characters since I was not aware of anyone doing this in a large scale way (i.e. more than introducing a few common or quirky character components). I imagine there must be others doing this as well. I don't get out much :mrgreen:

Hi feng,

Although it´s still under construction, perhaps you or someone else will find this web site interesting: http://www.learnm.org/indexE.php

feng

榜眼
Thanks, but my project is already complete. I just need to spend the next several months working out lots of minor details and doing a painstaking double check. Cheers!