changing from tungsten e2 to a treo

tuvia

举人
hi-
i will soon buy a treo 650 or 680 , and of course want to use my pleco on it. i currently have a tungsten e2. what is the procedure for doing this? also, is there much of a difference in the way pleco performs on the treo 650 vs the 680 (or other models)? thanks.

ipsi

状元
There should be no problem. Just install Pleco, install the keyfile, and away you go. You may have to email Pleco (not sure) if you change your hot-sync user name. It's not a big deal. I imagine you could also get away with not doing so, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. I don't imagine you'll actually notice any difference between the E2 and a 650/680. I'd recommend a 680, personally, as the 650's are getting pretty old, and you'll have a very hard time finding them new, if it's even still possible.

If you want to transfer your flashcards and user dictionary, you'll need FileZ to copy them from your internal memory to your SD Card on the E2, and then back again on to the 680's internal memory. I think they're called "Plecodict Flascards", "Plecodict User DB C-E" and "PlecoDict User DB E-C". I don't think you can transfer your preferences across, but it should be relatively easy to set everything up again.

Also, I'm fairly sure that the license only applies to one handheld, so you'll have to delete Pleco from the E2 once you've installed it on your new device.

tuvia

举人
thanks very much for your reply. is there any other 'smartphone' that can use pleco, or does it only work with palm treo? i am in beijing, so have to get something i can find here. thanks.

ipsi

状元
It also works with Windows Mobile, and they should actually be easier to find. Just make sure it has a touchscreen - WM phones don't always have touch-screens, and Pleco won't run without it (or if it does, it's not usable). Also make sure they can install the English version unless your Chinese is quite good.

You can switch your license, I think for free now. Probably need to contact Pleco for more info about that.

You can also technically use it on a 700p/755p, but you won't find those in China as they're CDMA, not GSM.

EDIT: There are good points and bad points about both WM and Palm. I'd advise doing a bit of research if you're thinking about WinMob.