CC-Cedict dicrionaries in different layout (Android tested, has bugs on Iphone)

Cameroon

进士
Hi, I've compiled two variants of Cedict dictionaries for use in Pleco.
The aim was to compact their view to fit into the popup window (removed too much free space, no need to scroll in most cases).

photo_2022-08-17_14-29-40.jpg

Also take a look at how variant forms are now displayed (previously I got confused sometimes not being able to get instantly which character a given variant form is related to).
There are two files: one is for simplified mode in Pleco, and the other is when traditional characters are set to be displayed first.
(Cedict is focused on traditional form, while Pleco is versatile, so I made two versions for use in both scenarios).
Both files can be installed, while the temporarily unused one can be switched off in settings.
I've worked on this rather long, so the Cedict version is outdated (this year's April), but still a bit more up to date than the Cedict currently used in Pleco ))
Thanks Mike, Shun and other forum members who contributed to the guidelines on how to create user dictionaries!

Please note, I use this on Android, not tested it on iPhone, so there might be bugs on iOS
 
Last edited:

Shun

状元
Hi,

thank you for these ready-made dictionaries. Just two small bugs I found after installing the Simplified mode version:
  • The character 繁 before the Traditional version of the headword at the end of a definition is a very light gray in day mode on an iPhone, and almost invisible in Night mode:

    IMG_5814.PNG

  • Another issue I ran into was that for some reason, something in the dictionary's headwords doesn't match a word I tapped on, so that when I tap any word to open a pop-up definition, and then tap-hold the dictionary abbreviation to jump to your dictionary, a different dictionary's definition is shown, and your dictionary is skipped over. (I had all the normal settings under Manage Dictionaries, including Use in dictionary, enabled.) If I search for a word in the regular dictionary screen, your dictionary's entry is shown as normal. The problem might be that the Traditional field is empty sometimes. It may be that it should be filled in even when it's identical to the Simplified headword field.

Thanks again! One idea of a continuation project you could do with CC-CEDICT later would be to add a few example sentences from Tatoeba.org, containing that headword, to each definition, with translations in languages such as Russian, German, French, English, and so on. Such a dictionary would give users a better idea of how a word can be used, because these are full sentences unlike most dictionaries' relatively short, frequently occurring collocations.

Cheers,

Shun
 

Cameroon

进士
Dear Shun, thanks for your feedback and ideas,
I have to admit that I didn't run into any of the mentioned problems on my Android phone.
It's obvious for color bug (Android uses different special codes than Iphone), but for not showing the chars that do exist in the dictionary - I have to investigate a bit more. Actually I removed trad char in [...] brackets if it's identical to simp char to make the file smaller, but on Android, again, it didn't cause any bugs. If I can't find a char in (my version of) Cedict, that means there's no such char in Cedict at all.
Seemingly, to use on Iphone it has to be edited and recompiled according to the iOS specifics (known for color codes, and perhaps could be cured by adding trads in brackets for all entries - for not finding certain words).

My idea to develop a specific Cedict dictionary for Pleco was purely to make popup's usability a bit handier, while keeping the contents intact.
But your advise as to adding some examples from Tatoeba could definitely enhance the dictionary.
The implementation by now seems challenging for me, but who knows - a year ago I couldn't have even imagined that I would edit any dictionary for Pleco, but, thanks to your and other forum members' valuable advices - now it's possible.
 
Top