Cantonese TTS

I had Cantonese TTS working on my old phone (Huawei P8 Lite). Audio buttons would appear next to to words in all Chinese dictionaries and next to sentences in 廣州話方言詞典. Now on my new phone (Huawei P9) I can't get them to appear at all. Changing Cantonese locale doesn't do anything either. Note: The TTS voice was female, but I never bought either of the Cantonese audio add-ons.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Is the latest version of Google TTS installed on your phone, and selected as your system TTS engine in Settings? If so and it isn't working, try installing / selecting another Cantonese TTS like Ekho.

The whole Cantonese TTS situation is a mess at the moment, frankly - should finally get better around the end of the year when we launch our brand new licensed Cantonese TTS add-ons, but it seems like nobody at Google or any of the major OEMs is putting much time into making this work well. (might suspect there are some political motivations behind that, except that Apple is subject to the same politics but has had perfectly nice / reliable Cantonese TTS for 3 years now)