Cantonese search in 4.0: worse?

ovelp

In 4.0 I see either “Chinese” or “English” panes in the search result. I have to scroll through all the non-Cantonese results to find the Cantonese entries. In 3.0, I could just toggle to Cantonese results, which was much faster. Is there a setting I’m missing?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Had you created a dictionary group just for Cantonese besides the built-in one? Did that not migrate over?

If you were just using the built [CAN] dictionary group, that actually still was searching Mandarin dictionaries - character results from that should have generally been identical to those from [C]; it's just that for pronunciation it used whatever your Cantonese system was instead of Mandarin. In 4.0 we now search both of those in the same tab, though it's certainly something we can revisit if people find that too many of their pronunciation searches match both.

If you want to make a profile just for Cantonese, go into Expert Settings / Search Profiles and create a new Cantonese search profile; on that screen you can configure its "reading language" to be just Cantonese and its "dictionary order" to include only your Cantonese dictionaries and no other ones.

ovelp

I was indeed using just [CAN] and missed the Expert Settings. 4.0 is much more powerful here. Thanks!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No problem! (we may want to create a default "Cantonese" profile in the future, at least for people migrating from 3.0 who are used to having one)

Alexis

状元
I've been playing around with the different Cantonese search options (I currently use Pleco for both Mandarin and Cantonese).

In Pleco 3, my solution was to have a "Cantonese" dictionary group which included the following dictionaries:
  • Works.hk Cantonese
  • ABC Cantonese
  • CCCanto
  • Guangzhouhua-Putonghua
  • Guangzhouhua Fangyan Cidian
I turned off the default Cantonese search group as I didn't want the Mandarin dictionaries included.

I then controlled my search by clicking on the convenient "dictionary group switcher".

---

In Pleco 4 (trying to use only the non-advanced settings), I setup a Cantonese dictionary group, but don't see any way to use it in the search.

I discovered that I had the "Legacy search screen interface" setting on, which I didn't intend to (though I may have switched it on at one point)? I like this off because of the large dictionary switchers visible when it's off. I noticed that while my iPhone has 4 search types (Chinese, English, All Mand..., Cantonese), iPad only has 2 (Chinese, English). Not sure if this is due to my settings. Ideally I'd love to see: "Chinese | English | Mandarin | Cantonese" (where Cantonese is Cantonese only dictionaries). Perhaps the default could be "Chinese | English", and then if a user downloads at least one Cantonese dictionary, it could split out to the 4 options?

With the current settings (ordering the dictionary results intelligently based on if the input is detected as Mandarin or Cantonese), I find it's a bit of a mixed bag. For example, entering "fuk" will show Mandarin results, but I was hoping for Cantonese (though I get that mind-reading is hard!). But this could be a non-issue if it was easy to switch/filter out the results as per the previous paragraph.

As an idea for the Search settings, I'd personally find it super useful to have a "Ignore a/aa Cantonese differences" (mainly because I find these super tough to hear the difference). But that might be silly; it could be I just need to train my ear better.

Would it be possible to know what the "Detect patterns" search option does?

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, 'dictionary groups' in 4.0 have a totally different meaning in 3.0 and we probably ought to use a different name for them. They're now only a tool for grouping dictionaries in lists and in the search screen, they don't impact anything about searches.

The 4.0 equivalent of the old dictionary groups is making a custom search profile in Expert Settings; you can make one of those with whatever reading system and whatever selection of dictionaries you like, so you should be able to create your Mandarin / Cantonese tabs that way.

"ignore a/aa" - this wouldn't be too tricky, but I'd rather do it as part of a larger system where people could ignore other differences that they have trouble hearing too.

"Detect patterns" - this means it'll search for grammatical patterns along with words. So if you make up a nonsensical 不...而... phrase - 不牛而羊, say - and paste it in the search box, in addition to a breakdown of those 4 characters you should see a 不...而... entry too.

Alexis

状元
Thanks Mike! I set up a Mandarin and Cantonese custom search profile. However even with the Cantonese search profile, it seema to search the chinese dictionaries instead of the ones I specified. Just wondering if I have the settings wrong?

IMG_8830.png
IMG_8831.png
IMG_8832.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd... if you tap on one of those KEY entries, which dictionaries do you see results from? All of them or just KEY + your Cantonese dictionaries?

Alexis

状元
Hmm... getting a bit different results now. Under my "Cantonese" search profile, The "Chinese" section of results is as expected (showing only the Cantonese dictionaries), but the "Cantonese" section is showing results from all Chinese dictionaries.

IMG_8833.png
IMG_8834.png

Alexis

状元
When I click on the entries that show KEY as the primary, then all Chinese dictionaries are listed.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I went and checked and couldn't reproduce this bug but then I installed the current public beta and I could, so it seems like it was covered by another one of our bug fixes and hence should be addressed in the next beta; sorry about that.