Buying Apps and Add Ons from Apple

David K

This is only partly related to Pleco. I had to check some issues on the internet recently and there is a lot of discussion about buying from our home country iTunes store. In the terms and conditions it appears to state that we can only buy from the online Apple Store when we are in the country of that store. There is even a suggestion that we can only listen to music, read books etc when we are in the country where they are bought. This seems very unsatisfactory and totally different from the situation of buying a physical product which we can take with us anywhere.

I buy from the UK iTunes/Apples store. I use a UK credit card and I still have a genuine UK address. I am, however, spending most of my time in China. I have never tried to use the China online Apple Store and in any case I do not have a Chinese credit card. I have never had any trouble making purchases from abroad and most have been made without a vpn so it must show up that I am abroad. I have been buying from iTunes since 2007.

This relates to Pleco because of course I update through the UK store and any in app purchases have been through the same store.

Does anyone have any experience, comments or advice? The best idea is probably to keep calm and carry on as I have done fro the last seven years. Thanks. David

Shun

状元
They would surely offer you a free migration path if they needed you to use the Chinese store. But that seems unlikely, when you register, Apple only uses the credit card address and ZIP code to determine your origin.

yoose

探花
This is only partly related to Pleco. I had to check some issues on the internet recently and there is a lot of discussion about buying from our home country iTunes store. In the terms and conditions it appears to state that we can only buy from the online Apple Store when we are in the country of that store. There is even a suggestion that we can only listen to music, read books etc when we are in the country where they are bought. This seems very unsatisfactory and totally different from the situation of buying a physical product which we can take with us anywhere.

I buy from the UK iTunes/Apples store. I use a UK credit card and I still have a genuine UK address. I am, however, spending most of my time in China. I have never tried to use the China online Apple Store and in any case I do not have a Chinese credit card. I have never had any trouble making purchases from abroad and most have been made without a vpn so it must show up that I am abroad. I have been buying from iTunes since 2007.

This relates to Pleco because of course I update through the UK store and any in app purchases have been through the same store.

Does anyone have any experience, comments or advice? The best idea is probably to keep calm and carry on as I have done fro the last seven years. Thanks. David

I have not had any problems. I have a US itunes store account and have been using Pleco in Hong Kong and Shanghai for the past 4 years. no problems with buying add-ons and getting updates.