Bigger, more modern dictionary

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I can't say too much, but broadly there are two main things we're in serious talks about at the moment: a traditional Chinese medical title, and a (wonderful) C-E dictionary we can use online as it doesn't look like we're going to be able to do a web-based ABC anytime soon. We've also just gotten a faint nibble on a Cantonese dictionary thanks actually to the intervention of a Pleco customer, though it's too early to even start hoping on that one yet.

A picture dictionary I don't think is all that useful on a low-resolution screen, and the iPhone notwithstanding, the vast majority of handhelds/smartphones are fairly low-res and will likely continue to be that way for power-saving reasons. It's something we might consider if the desktop version takes off but I don't think it would be worth licensing for use on handhelds alone.

No news on the new ABC, but just going from what's posted about in on their website, it's really not going to be all that comprehensive; they're trying to do something more along the lines of the Oxford Concise, drawing from the same word database as the ABC Comprehensive but smaller, bidirectional and a bit newer. Not that they're abandoning the Comprehensive title, they just seem to be broadening their reach with this one. Certainly we'd bring in the new/updated C-E entries once it was released, and we'd be interested in the E-C half of it as well even if it wasn't all that large simply because it would complement the C-E Comprehensive so well, but I don't think it's likely to have a significant impact on our product plans in the near future at least.

Aunty

举人
mikelove said:
We've also just gotten a faint nibble on a Cantonese dictionary thanks actually to the intervention of a Pleco customer, though it's too early to even start hoping on that one yet.

Oh... oooohhhh! Cantonese! Two weeks into study and it's hell learning a language without PlecoDict. I've been spoiled, addicted.

Can't even hope yet? Then all I can do is sigh and flash my big teary eyes at the computer screen. And wait. And ho... err, sorry, and wish.

rurouni1

A Cantonese dictionary would be great.

As would a Japanese dictionary (but that would be very difficult I understand).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Still no word on Cantonese, unfortunately. Azabu, thanks for the suggestion but at the moment at least we're pretty well set for E-C titles thanks to the new 21st Century dictionary.