Are my text files synced to the cloud?

Shun

状元
Hi Méiqiáng,

the difference between iCloud Drive and iCloud Backup is that iCloud Drive needs to be specifically supported by an app, whereas iCloud Backup automatically works with any app. iCloud Drive is a folder structure that you can access from any app that supports it or from your PC or Mac. The data that is periodically backed up using iCloud Backup, however, can only be accessed by restoring all of your apps to the state they were in at the time of the last backup. As far as I know, you unfortunately cannot restore just a single app's data, only an entire device. But I'm quite certain that iCloud Drive will be supported by a future release of Pleco on iOS.

In the meantime, you could still send single files to Dropbox from Pleco by going to the info screen for a file in the File Manager and choosing "Share/Open in...".

Hope this helps,

Shun

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, they're only backed up as part of your full system backup, we don't currently put them on iCloud Drive. (we generally operate on the assumption that most of these were brought in from elsewhere / aren't files you plan to regularly edit within Pleco)

Yes, they're only backed up as part of your full system backup, we don't currently put them on iCloud Drive. (we generally operate on the assumption that most of these were brought in from elsewhere / aren't files you plan to regularly edit within Pleco)

Thank you. Yet, I DO regularly edit at least one of the files I learn with by adding/moving new text each time. In the past I know it was pretty much immediately synced to Dropbox.

I'm assuming there is no way to make that happen now, right?

Last edited:
hi,
are there any news about the synch of text files between iphone or ipad using icloud?
the itunes "save/load" solution was proposed in 2019 , but now we are in 2022 (3 years later).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, the iTunes thing was actually considerably older than that; we considered the problem largely solved after Apple added (and we adopted in Pleco) the ability to open files from another app or from iCloud Drive.

If you go into Reader / Open Document and tap on "External Files" you can open a file from whatever cloud storage app you like.