anki

alexxx

秀才
Dear all,
I use Pleco since some years, and I recently discovered Anki.
I was thinking about the possibility to use Anki for flashcard review while at my PC desktop, and Pleco everywhere else.

Do you have some suggestion on the possibility to do flashcard interchange between the two?

thanks!

alessandro

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Haven't done much experimentation with that, to be honest, but I believe Anki's standard export / import format allows for multiple tabbed fields just like ours, so assuming your Anki cards' sections are set up as headword, then Pinyin, then definition in that order, you should be able to output them to a text file and import that right into Pleco (and vice versa).

mfcb

状元
basic card exchange would work like that, but i think what alessandro means is, that he wants to exchange actual card scores between sessions of anki and pleco. i fear, that that is not possible until you (mike and the developers of anki) provide an interface for that...

alexxx

秀才
Re: anki - Pleco SRS!

thank you for the reply.

I actually found out about Anki by this old interesting article on Wired: http://www.wired.com/print/medtech/heal ... ff_wozniak ,
where I discovered the marvels of spaced-repetition systems.
I installed Anki after just minutes, but it's of course too early to know if this will finally enable me to memorize better.

... and then I just found out that Pleco too supports SRS ! Damn, your software, Mike, keeps on surprising me.

So, if I may change my question, do you people use the SRS mode in flashcard study? Does it make wonders for you?
Is it implemented fully? In the manual I didnt find too many infos, but I notice as a 1st difference that - at least in Anki - the way a card is self-scored is multiple-value (1-5, from wrong to perfect recall), and this is related to how soon to present the card again, while in Pleco there's just a binary evaluation...

thanks for your help

alessandro

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can score cards in that more detailed way in Pleco too; just enable "Show score btns" in the "Scoring" tab in Advanced Settings. I think that pretty much anything SRS-wise that Anki supports, we do too; there are a few things that are still a bit trickier in Pleco ("leech" cards for example would have to be flagged manually or found via a Manage Flashcards search), but as of the new 2.0.4 update the algorithm will be just as customizable, and could probably be set up to mimic Anki almost exactly if you wanted it to.