An Open Letter To alex_90hk

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
《新华字典》 is copyrighted, so even @alex_hk90 can't legally convert it. ECCP reader's status seems to be uncertain, but we can write them to ask about it - if they are OK with it being distributed then there's probably no reason we couldn't release it as an official Pleco database.

(we hugely appreciate alex_hk90's efforts, but they're only necessary in the narrow situation where a dictionary is a) open-source but also b) restricted to non-commercial use - if it's not open-source then nobody can distribute it without a license, if it's open-source and permits commercial use then we can distribute it ourselves)

Last edited:

alex_hk90

状元
《新华字典》(link removed)
ECCP reader: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~qing/portal.shtml

how about pleco-fying these two?!

:)

《新华字典》 is copyrighted, so even @alex_hk90 can't legally convert it. ECCP reader's status seems to be uncertain, but we can write them to ask about it - if they are OK with it being distributed then there's probably no reason we couldn't release it as an official Pleco database.

(we hugely appreciate alex_hk90's efforts, but they're only necessary in the narrow situation where a dictionary is a) open-source but also b) restricted to non-commercial use - if it's not open-source then nobody can distribute it without a license, if it's open-source and permits commercial use then we can distribute it ourselves)

Thanks for the clarification. I was just about to reply asking for more details on the licensing/copyright status on these.

My bad.

ECCP shouldn't be a problem, I would imagine, it's Dartmouth afterall.