Alternative text to speech options

shiki

I have a TTS engine Android app which allows for much higher quality TTS options than just those in my default Android settings (Samsung and Google TTS).
The TTS engine app is already useable in other apps such as Ankidroid but not in Pleco which only allows for Google and Samsung options in my case. If Pleco added the option to use other TTS engines available from the Android settings page, then the audio quality experience on Pleco would be massively improved IMO.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It should support any engine Android does - does it maybe work better if you reboot your phone?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd... we don't filter that list in any way, we just ask the system for a list of engines and display all of them. What's the name of this other TTS app? Does Ankidroid show it in a list of TTS engines along with the Samsung and Google ones, or does it configure it some other separate way?

shiki

It's called "TTS Server", I downloaded it from GitHub, not from the google play store.
Ankidroid doesn't show a list, it simply uses the engine that's selected in Android settings as the "preferred engine".
If Pleco could use this "preferred engine" from the Android system that would be perfect.

shiki

I downloaded and tried another TTS app and also restarted my phone and that app also doesn't get recognized by Pleco on Android. Is there any chance this can be considered for a future update ?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We can investigate why they're not working, but I can't promise that the reason won't be something complicated enough that it would have to wait for a major update like 4.0.