adding line breaks in “Edit card text” to Flashcards on iPhone/iPad

Rainer

1) I would like to add (type myself) a Story to each of my imported Heisig Flashcards … how do I add a line-break in “Edit card text” (in DEFINITION) on iphone? (pls be specific, I’m not a programmer)
2) in relation to 1) above, how would I write/edit (code wise) my Heisig text file (RSH_v2.txt) in order, after import, for my story to be added with a line break (in DEFINITION)?
3) Incidentally, is there anywhere an actual Heisig text file with the stories already added (for import)?
4) when will “User Fields” be added under “Edit card text” … as this was said to be added very soon years ago?

Shun

状元
Hello Rainer,

1) if you already have flashcards on your iPhone (without the stories) and would like to add stories to them after a few line breaks, you should be able to tap on "Edit card text" and add newlines using the Return button on the on-screen keyboard. However, it may be quicker to export the flashcards and add the stories on your PC/Mac, then re-import the flashcards. For that, you need to use a special newline character with the current Pleco 3.2, not a regular newline. (See this thread: https://plecoforums.com/threads/multiple-new-lines-in-user-defined-flashcards.5916/post-44863 )

2) You can export the flashcards, edit them on your PC/Mac, then re-import the text file with Duplicate entries set to "Update text". This will replace the cards' definitions.

3) It's quite possible, if you look through these "heisig" search results:

https://plecoforums.com/search/10941/?q=heisig&o=date

4) Probably with Pleco 4. (You can also search for it on the forums.)

Cheers, Shun

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
4) Yes, though one way you could get it now (albeit a bit hackily) would be to repurpose the "Cantonese" field; enable Cantonese support in Pleco (in Settings / Languages) and you should then have an option to edit / display Cantonese on flashcards, and if you prepend a @ to your Cantonese string then it won't try to interpret it as Cantonese.

(Pleco 4.0 supports text replacements and moving the contents of any field to any other field, so it should be easy to migrate these notes-in-Cantonese-field to actual notes once that's out)

Rainer

Thanks, yes the keyboard Return button works and places a return but only when in “Edit card text” in DEFINITION, but soon as Save and back to the card, the Return (line break) does not register and all and text is all continuous without a line break (see attached pic) when back on the main Flashcard.

And I tried post-44863 all day yesterday, but whenever I try to incorporate EAB1 or  (<>) into a .txt document then import, once back in Pleco there simply is no Line break at all (see pic) on the Flashcard.
So, should an actual Line Break appear/be-actioned (places the text following onto a new lower line) where I placed the red arrows on my attached pic?

Attachments

• Flashcard Linebreak not work.JPG
    Flashcard Linebreak not work.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 361

Shun

状元
Hello Rainer,

I found that the EAB1 newline is skipped in the Card Info screen so you can see more text in the available space, but it does its job in a flashcard session. Here are the screenshots and the test file:

IMG_1599.png IMG_1598.png

Would that behavior work for you?

Cheers, Shun

Attachments

• newline test.txt
    48 bytes · Views: 292

Rainer

perfect, thanks ... still getting used to Pleco, purchased 3days ago, ... but starting to make sense bit by bit. Thank You