Adding clozes to flashcards (in the future)

etm001

状元
Hi,

At some point clozes are coming to Pleco flashcards, and I'm wondering how you have envisioned this functionality working. Specifically when adding a word and an associated cloze from reader.
  • Will a "single tap" option will be available? For example, I tap to select/add a word and Pleco (perhaps via a configurable setting) adds the current sentence, or X characters before/after the word, etc? Quick functionality like this is nice because it helps to minimize the disruption to the reading experience.
  • Conversely, after selecting a word, would one be able to manually select the cloze text? This is more labor intensive/disruptive, but allows for fine control.
Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Current design allows for both. Clozes are basically treated like another "Show" type, one that can either draw from the specific set of sentences that you've attached to a card (which can have their cloze rendering customized) or can simply pull a random sentence that would otherwise appear in SENTS and automatically cloze it.

Awesome. Would it be possible to also restrict it to a dictionary to pull the random sentence from? What I'm envisioning is making my own database of sentences from, say, books and wikipedia and such (I'd use imron's Chinese Text Analyzer to parse everything into sentences and import to Pleco). It would be cool if I could choose to restrict it to finding a sentence in this user dictionary. Or even have a hierarchical thing like you do with importing words - I could tell Pleco to first look in my user dictionary for sentences with word X, and if it didn't find it there, go look in ABC, and if not there, Guifan, etc...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Should be something along those lines, yes, though we haven't done the configuration UI for it yet (just most of the backend).