Ability to translate within Safari browser?

Luhmann

举人
I see there is a new app called Tap-Translate which is able to access it's own dictionary via a javascript bookmarklet within the Safari Mobile web browser. I was wondering if Pleco could do the same trick? It would be great if it could!

http://iostranslate.appspot.com/tap-tra ... pport.html

The webpage says 1.99, but the app store says this app is 9.99. Also even though it does Chinese, it seems it doesn't do Pinyin. For these reasons I haven't tried the app, but looking at it made me think it would be great if Pleco could do the same thing.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Luhmann said:
I see there is a new app called Tap-Translate which is able to access it's own dictionary via a javascript bookmarklet within the Safari Mobile web browser. I was wondering if Pleco could do the same trick? It would be great if it could!

http://iostranslate.appspot.com/tap-tra ... pport.html

The webpage says 1.99, but the app store says this app is 9.99. Also even though it does Chinese, it seems it doesn't do Pinyin. For these reasons I haven't tried the app, but looking at it made me think it would be great if Pleco could do the same thing.

Honestly we think our approach of an in-app web browser works a lot better - something like this would only work if we licensed a bunch of dictionaries for online (rather than offline) distribution, since it has to pull its data from a server, and in order to integrate with flashcards we'd have to do a whole bunch of other complicated stuff - set up another server to collect new card additions with its own user accounts / device synchronization / etc. Whereas with an in-app browser, we have access to everything else in our app automatically.

On top of which, since the page data is passing through our system there are lots of nifty things we can eventually do with it that a JavaScript-based solution cannot; automatically coloring words by their frequency / HSK level, say, or letting you dump all of the new vocabulary on a page to a document with a simple command.