ABC Canto - Language Fluid?

I was looking at the entry for「契弟」on ABC Canto, when I noticed that the entry changes depending on the dictionary category that you arrive from. For instance, from the Mandarin category we get:

Screenshot 2026-10-04 at 11.54.13 AM.png

Where as the Cantonese looks more "normal":


I understand the language fluidity for most dictionary entires. But for things that are "Chiefly-topolectical" it doesn't seem to make sense?

Rendering 契細佬 as qì xì lǎo, seems a bit silly in the middle of a Cantonese dictionary, and, likewise, having the Jyutping suddenly switch to Pinyin seems bizarre as well: Tiáo qìdì qù zuo biān dù a?, Really?

I'm assuming it's just a regular function that could use a bit more pinpointing.
 
There's an option in Settings / Chinese readings to "keep original example language" that will make examples stick to whatever language they were written in. I can see some logic in that 'chiefly topolectical' distinction; to be honest, in general we try to use a big hammer for this stuff because there are a not insignificant contingent of Pleco users who for various reasons are really uncomfortable with seeing any Mandarin or any simplified characters in the app and want us to be as scrupulous as possible in removing those things for them, but of course if you already have both Mandarin and Cantonese enabled then you're presumably OK with seeing some Mandarin and some Cantonese.
 
Back
Top