"A Student's Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese" Bug Report + Feedback Thread

Shun

状元
According to the Brill link above, it's suited to all periods up to 1000 CE. For 文言文, you should be covered with either the Grand Ricci or the Hanyu Da Cidian. I don't know yet which of these is more complete, though.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@laobaigou - what material specifically is missing? An organizational difference in our version is that instead of listing all of the pronunciations for the same character under a single entry, we give them each a separate one - we do this for consistency with our other dictionaries; you can easily get to all of the alternate pronunciations for a given character via the "CHARS" tab.

laobaigou

举人
@laobaigou - what material specifically is missing? An organizational difference in our version is that instead of listing all of the pronunciations for the same character under a single entry, we give them each a separate one - we do this for consistency with our other dictionaries; you can easily get to all of the alternate pronunciations for a given character via the "CHARS" tab.

OK thanks, that point wasn't immediately apparent to me. The cases I found are indeed just this, e.g 閬。 BTW in the entry for tang3lang4, you seem to just have the simplified variant for tang3?

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
GHY does, yes - ongoing project there, it was originally simplified-only and they used images for the simplified versions of characters for which no official simplified code point exists, so we need to go through and manually find + add the corresponding traditional characters (rather than running them through a standard conversion as we could do with non-image characters).

Pardon me for asking a basic question. Is this a 文言文 dictionary? I'm thinking of studying 文言文, and wondering which dictionary to use.
The not-yet-released print version is arranged by pinyin, definitions are for the classical era (Warring States through Han) as well as Medieval Chinese ("Middle Chinese", 220 AD through 907 AD), with Middle Chinese pronunciations. Definitions are in English. The Pleco version has the usual variety of Pleco input methods (pinyin, radical, handwritten, etc.).
(Here's some sample pages from Brill's website.
http://www.brill.com/sites/default/files/ftp/downloads/69824_Sample_Pages.pdf

timseb

进士
Sorry, different thing - we don't offer an abbreviation table at the moment.

I tried googling one abbreviation yesterday but found no answer. I'll post it here when i encounter it again.

I''m probably going to buy this no matter, but my standard question still is: is the dictionary exportable for the moment? :)